Primary Location: Minnesota-Eden Prairie
Private Brand products and external third-party manufacturers. Represents the Supervalu Private Brands organization in all technical matters that affect product performance standards, food safety standards, and regulatory compliance. Leads and directs a team of food industry professionals across product development, regulatory compliance, quality assurance, and sensory science disciplines. Turns consumer trends and needs into saleable Private Brand products that deliver better penny profit and margin to the Supervalu organization while upholding strict quality standards.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Accountable for creating strategies, developing procedures, and managing all activities relating to the product development, regulatory, sensory testing, and quality control functions regarding third-party food manufacturing, food safety, packaging and labeling compliance, stage-gate item development processes, product specification development, product performance, and product testing for the multi-billion dollar Private Brands organization within Supervalu.
- Develops policies and procedures to ensure that external manufacturers maintain necessary food safety controls and are evaluated for compliance within the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) via audits and assessments across the PD&QA functions to minimize regulatory, legal and business risk while effectively and efficiently supporting business goals.
- Accountable for the quality and safety of 6,000+ Private Brand product SKUs across 200 categories, sold across over 2,000 corporate and independent stores.
- Accountable for food safety practices of 400 external manufacturers at over 1,000 plant locations.
- Directs and manages staff of up to 20 Food Scientists, Product Developers, Regulatory Affairs associates, Sensory Scientists, and Quality Assurance professionals.
- Effectively manage a departmental budget in excess of $2 million, including personnel, supplies, equipment, software, hardware, travel, consumer research, and outside services.
- Ensures that all Private Brand product labels are developed in accordance with the FDA and USDA guidelines.
- Ensures that all product labels developed for the Supervalu Own Brands group are legally compliant for ingredient listing statements, nutritional content, marketing terminology, and provides recommendations for compliance options.
- BS/MS in food science (or related field).
- Minimum 15 years of Product Development/Quality Assurance experience, 10 years of demonstrated leadership and management experience in a large, complex organization.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in developing and reviewing food and non-food products in accordance with federal and industry guidelines.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience using stage-gate Product Lifecycle.
- Management (PLM) systems and have been instrumental in the new launch of a PLM system within a complex organization with cross-functional teams.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with developing and managing a Sensory Testing program (hedonics, JARs, duo/trio tests).
- Minimum of 8 years of experience leading and managing cross-functional teams.
- Must have had prior experience in the design, development, and management in the construction of multi-million dollar, 10,000+ square foot product testing facilities.
- Experience with stage-gate driven product development cycles within the grocery food industry.
- Comprehensive knowledge of regulatory nutrition labeling requirements for FDA and USDA.
Why Work for Supervalu?
SUPERVALU Inc. is one of the largest grocery wholesalers and retailers in the U.S. with annual sales of approximately $17 billion. SUPERVALU serves customers across the United States through a network of almost 3,400 stores. Headquartered in Minnesota, SUPERVALU has about 35,000 employees. We know that bright, motivated people are the reason for our success. Because of our employees, we’ve been providing the best service to our customers for more than 135 years.
We encourage FRESH thinking, offer an environment of inclusion and support, and set no boundaries on your achievement!
A GREAT PLACE TO GROW!
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. SUPERVALU is an EO employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.