Safeway – Brand Manager
Company: Safeway Inc
Position Category: Marketing & Advertising
Requisition Number: MKTN132352
Safeway Inc., a Fortune 100 Company, is one of the largest food and drug retailers in North America with 1,300+ stores. The Safeway family of brands includes some of the most prominent brands in food retailing, with a growing base of loyal shoppers. Thanks to the professionalism, diversity, spirit and friendliness of our people, we have locations across the U.S.
Diversity is fundamental at Safeway. We foster an inclusive working environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee is both recognized and valued. We believe that building successful relationships with our customers and our communities is only possible through the diversity of our people. And a diverse workforce leads to better teamwork and creative thinking, as well as mutual understanding and respect.
The Consumer Brands Department has 2 openings for a Brand Manager. These positions are located in Pleasanton, California.
Now more than ever, consumers view “private label” as brands in their own right. Join the team that JD Power cites as being a key driver of this transformation – Safeway’s Consumer Brands. Safeway’s Consumer Brands division is responsible for developing and managing an innovative portfolio of category leading brands including O Organics, Open Nature, Eating Right, Safeway SELECT, Marcela Valladolid, Lucerne and Safeway Brands.
The Brand Manager is accountable for brand equity management and financial performance with key responsibility for identification, sell-in and launch of new products and initiatives to drive brand and category growth. They understand and manage all key issues that impact the business, while driving to meet business objectives through leadership and influence of cross-functional partners.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop annual brand strategy, business and marketing activation plans.
- Identify and lead business initiatives to drive brand and volume/profit growth. Must understand and influence P&L management, including identification of risks and contingencies.
- Analyze brand, category and competitive trends and dynamics leading to key conclusions, implications and recommended action plans.
- Identify and assess new consumer trends and opportunities. Partner with internal Consumer & Shopper Insights team as necessary to conduct research and develop fact-based recommendations.
- Lead a cross-functional team of product development, consumer insights, package design, sourcing and category management to develop and commercialize new products or product improvements. Engage the team on strategic vision with excellence including problem solving challenges.
- Develop creative briefs for all new products and marketing tactics, collaborate with package design team, consumer-marketing team and outside agencies to ensure consistent brand strategy, design and marketing communications.
- Ensure on time delivery of new item, line extension and renovation projects against company Wave calendars. High sense of urgency in project management and launch of key initiatives is required.
- Travel is less than 10%
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Economics or Marketing; MBA preferred.
- 4+ years experience plus the education listed above.
- Demonstrated leadership and expertise in brand building, marketing or sales, preferably at a Consumer Packaged Goods Company or Retailer.
- Strong analytical and financial skills with ability to drive to sales and profit objectives and to identify business opportunities and risks.
- Strategic thinker, with good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Results-oriented, with excellent follow through. Able to operate independently in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Self-motivated, with a sense of urgency.
- Strong project management skills; ability to manage multiple projects. Strong sense of ownership.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with ability to effectively manage and influence across the organization.
- Culinary interest is a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and syndicated data (IRI, Nielsen).
Respond to: Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a resume by visiting www.CareersAtSafeway.com.