British retailer Waitrose is squeezing the sugar out of its chilled juice lines by removing 7.1 tonnes of sugar from its chilled juice assortment over the next 12 months.
Starting at the end of March, Waitrose began refreshing its existing lines of Private Brand juices and smoothies, as well as creating a new range of premium juices, all with lower sugar levels compared to previous offerings.
Waitrose are introducing the Reduced Calorie Orange and Apple Juice Drinks, which contain 30% less calories than standard fruit juice. This has been achieved by sweetening the drinks with extracts from the leaves of the Stevia plant, a native South American plant that has been used for centuries to naturally sweeten food and drink.
Four new LOVElife Private Brand smoothies will join the range, each with added vitamins and minerals to boost their nutrient intake. These will include:
- Yogurt-based Peach and Raspberry for bone health,
- Superberries for skin and radiance,
- Orange, Pineapple and Mango for immune support
- tantalising Apple and Beetroot drink which contributes to 2 of your 5-a-day.
Three new juices with innovative ingredients will be added to the premium juice range, giving customers a chance to try something original:
- Apple, Kale and Lime,
- Pink Lady Apple (now 750ml size)
- Apple, Guava and Baobab.
Sicilian Blood Orange Juice will also be available as part of the Waitrose Private Brand range.
Chloe Graves, Chilled Juice Buyer, said:
“Fruit juices are very popular with our customers and an easy way to get one of your five a day, but can have high levels of naturally occurring sugars. This revamped range reduces the sugar content and still delivers great taste.
“Our aim is to make good food even better as part of our Waitrose Way Living Well commitment and continually bring our customers delicious, healthy foods as we reduce salt, sugar and saturated fats.”
- Waitrose Reduced Calorie Apple Juice Drink – £1.85/1L
- Waitrose Reduced Calorie Orange Juice Drink – £1.85/L
- Waitrose LOVELife Peach and Raspberry Smoothie – £2.39 launching on an intro offer of £2
- Waitrose LOVELife Superberries – £2.39 launching on an intro offer of £2
- Waitrose LOVELife Orange, Pineapple and Mango – £2.39 launching on an intro offer of £2
- Waitrose LOVELife Apple and Beetroot – £2.39 launching on an intro offer of £2
- Waitrose Apple, Kale and Lime Juice – £1.85 or 3 for £4
- Waitrose Pink Lady Apple Juice – £1.85 or 3 for £4
- Waitrose Apple and Guava Juice – with Baobab Extract £1.85 or 3 for £4
- Waitrose Sicilian Blood Orange Juice – £2.65