PB CAREERS: Sports Authority – Designer I, Branding & Packaging
Date Posted: 3/26/2014
Job Code: 9783724
CareerStage: Team Support 5
Category: Merchandising/Product Development
The Graphic Designer will be responsible for assisting the Brand Manager with the design and development of new branding initiatives as well as packaging artwork adaptation for the existing 15 private brands—to include boxes, labels, header cards, apparel hangtags, in-store visual displays and apparel trim design. The designer should be able to execute all projects from concept to completion. This position requires an in-depth understanding of the current competitive marketplace and the ability to use this knowledge to create innovative graphic solutions. The designer should be capable of managing multiple concurrent deadlines, is an effective problem-solver who seeks out and responds well to feedback and art direction and is results-oriented.
- Provides timely, detailed and effective written and verbal communication on the status of design activities, risks and complex process administration.
- Amount of specialized knowledge, experience and confidence enables the ability to coach/train team members.
- Aids and may collaborate in the thought process of decision makers with validated observations, analysis and recommendations.
- Analyzes and/or organizes complex information with broad direction. Identifies trends. Actively seeks the input and opinions of stakeholders; explores and compares a wide range of options before acting; decisions are sound, timely, attentive to details and recognize constraints and resources available.
- As a subject matter expert, develops and presents recommendations from accurate assessments and/or analysis. Offers solutions and designs to solve process, project or program issues; provides recommendations to improve the efficiency and effectiveness. Defends a recommendation and can confidently support it.
- Independently possesses the ability to diagnose complex situations into manageable parts.
- Works collaboratively with stakeholders to understand constraints and expectations.
- 40%: Design and develop layouts for new and existing private brands following style guides on brand and on-time. Prepare files for production.
- 25%: Provide timely, detailed and effective written/verbal communication to overseas vendors and in-house stakeholders. Help to ensure that branded artwork and printed proofs are consistently following brand guidelines and on deadline.
- 15%: Collaborate with Branding Manager, Category Managers and suppliers to understand packaging and branding needs. Seeks innovative ideas with the SA customer in mind.
- 15%: Industry research, building and presenting packaging trend boards.
- 5%: Coordinate with QA, legal team, and Category Managers to ensure that the appropriate warning labels are printed following up-to-date wording, sizing and placement standards.
- 3 -5 years Graphic Design experience with a focus on packaging and branding.
- Accustomed to working in a rapidly changing, high growth environment and able to manage multiple and competing work priorities, demands and changes.
- Deadline-driven with a strong sense of priority and follow-through.
- Highly detail-oriented and organized.
- Creative and innovative thinker who contributes ideas and solutions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Extensive Mac knowledge including Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign), Acrobat, MS Office (Excel and PowerPoint).
- Must know how to prepare files for production and have an understanding of print processes and techniques.
- BA or equivalent work experience in the graphic design field(A minimum or 2 years of agency or in-house creative experience, and a demonstrated awareness of design).
Sports Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer.