Michaels – Product Designer
Organizational Unit: Michaels -> Sourcing -> Trend and Design
Location: Irving, TX 75063 US (Primary)
Job Level: Corp-Exempt/Professional
This is a position that supports the company’s strategic initiative to grow Private Brand. This individual will be a member of our Design Team and will assist in bringing creativity, unique, trend right product design to Michaels exclusive brand lines. The Designer will report directly to one of our Managers of Product Design. This Designer Illustrator will play a key role within our Integrated Product Development team. Candidate will collaborate with the Manager of Product Design, Private Brand Manager, (PBM), Director of Private Brand and Category Director (Sr. Buyer) for their assigned category(s).
- The Product Designer contributes to the Michaels’ value proposition by supporting merchandise initiatives through collaboration with our internal partners in Merchandising, Private Brand and Global Sourcing as well as our vendor community. The Product Designer builds relationships and drives communication to ensure product design requirements are developed, communicated, and implemented.
- The candidate will be responsible for interpreting trend forecast provided by the Trend Team and translating it into product design in their assigned categories. He or she will also create storyboards and presentations in partnership with their Private Brand and Global Sourcing team members.
- The candidate will work with the Manager of Product Design, Private Brand Manager, Director of Private Brand and Global Sourcing, and the Category Director to determine product specifications for concepts.
- He or she will focus on coordinating and leveraging the efforts of the internal design capabilities of our vendor partners with a focus on speed to market and driving a cohesive product statement at store level.
- The candidate will help the Manager of Product Design and the Vice President of Design/Trend to execute relevant design strategies by incorporating consumer insights, drive value engineering and improve products both in form and function with a sharp focus on achieving financial objectives.
- Bachelor degree is preferred. A BFA or MFA is highly preferred.
- Minimum 1-5 years of product design and/or illustration experience with a major retailer, brand or design firm.
- Ability to design concepts that are consumer focused to meet the needs of our Michaels Customer.
- Design experience in developing icons, prints, repeat patterns & graphics is required.
- Must have solid hand sketch/illustration skills and must be able to visualize concepts and easily communicate them as part of a cohesive merchandise assortment.
- Must have a high degree of proficiency with Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Must have a thorough working knowledge of basic Microsoft Office Programs.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must have time management and organizational skills.
- Experience in working with overseas manufacturers and vendors to develop innovative products lines preferred.
- The ability to travel over 15% globally will be required in this role.