Safeway – Director of Retail Merchandising
Company: Safeway Inc
Position Category: Merchandising
Requisition Number: MKTN132569
Safeway Inc., a Fortune 100 Company, is one of the largest food and drug retailers with 1,300+ stores. The Safeway family of brands includes some of the most prominent brands in food retailing, with a growing base of loyal shoppers. Thanks to the professionalism, diversity, spirit and friendliness of our people, we have locations across the U.S.
Diversity is fundamental at Safeway. We foster an inclusive working environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee is both recognized and valued. We believe that building successful relationships with our customers and our communities is only possible through the diversity of our people. And a diverse workforce leads to better teamwork and creative thinking, as well as mutual understanding and respect.
The Consumer Brands Department has an opening for a Director of Retail Merchandising. This position will be located in Pleasanton, California.
The Director Retail Merchandising is responsible for leading the communication and visibility of the Consumer Brand strategy to key division leadership personnel and to secure their support to executing the strategy. The Director serves as the communications lead between corporate and divisions on marketing and activation effectiveness. The Director communicates the backstage strategy and intent to the divisions and then helps backstage understand operational issues including the competitive challenges of the markets. The Director with then help shape the Consumer Brands marketing response. Ensure standardize practices are in place to help drive positive sales and volume with maximized profitability. Develop specific execution tactics that will support base business and big bet initiatives.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Support and add to the Consumer Brands strategy. Direct the implementation of objectives across all divisions. Coordinate with cross-functional areas to execute Consumer Brands programming.
- Drive sales via compliance to marketing programs, merchandising and pricing tactics.
- Works closely with Division President, VPRME, ROM, District Managers and Merchandising staff to influence and affect retail response and gain their support.
- Responsible for the strategic initiatives appropriate to drive Consumer Brand sales in the divisions. Serve as a sounding board to corporate on the effectiveness of CB strategies and provide feedback to solve for areas of opportunities.
- Act as a liaison from the division side and reports on market competitor strategies, pricing, new items, programs, and overall trends related to Private Label.
- Help shape Consumer Brand initiatives by representing the retail operation perspective and adding value to future plans.
- Develop and standardize tools, processes, and communication to facilitate a clear cut dialogue of business progress, work with FP&A, Marketing Strategies and Retail Support, etc. and deliver actionable information.
- Measure improvement to CB sales and AGP.
- Develop, coach, and lead the Retail Managers of Consumer Brands and help them expand their reach and influence within their divisions.
- Travel Requirements: 70%
- Bachelor’s degree in business or equivalent marketing/merchandising/retail experience preferred.
- 8 or more years of retail, merchandising or marketing experience.
- 5 or more years managing teams.
- 1-2 years of private label merchandising experience preferred.
- Expert knowledge of Consumer Brands strategies, objectives and processes.
- Knowledge of merchandising and retail operations.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to forge relationships that result in collaboration and support.
- Expert organization skills and the ability to address issues across multiple situations
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong presentation skills. Must be able to develop and present ideas in order to persuade/influence others to support key merchandising and marketing objectives.
- Strong customer service focus and team building skills.
- Managerial and coaching skills to support their team.
Respond to: Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a resume by visiting www.careersatsafeway.com
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER