Safeway Inc., a Fortune 100 Company, is one of the largest food and drug retailers in North America with 1,600+ stores. The Safeway family of brands includes some of the most prominent brands in food retailing, with a growing base of loyal shoppers. Thanks to the professionalism, diversity, spirit and friendliness of our people, we have locations across the U.S. and Canada.
Diversity is fundamental at Safeway. We foster an inclusive working environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee is both recognized and valued. We believe that building successful relationships with our customers and our communities is only possible through the diversity of our people. And a diverse workforce leads to better teamwork and creative thinking, as well as mutual understanding and respect.
The Consumer Brands Department has an opening for a Senior Brand Manager. This position is located in Pleasanton, California.
Now more than ever, consumers view “private label” as brands in their own right. Join the team that JD Power cites as being a key driver of this transformation – Safeway’s Consumer Brands. Safeway’s Consumer Brands division is responsible for developing and managing an innovative portfolio of category leading brands including O Organics, Open Nature, Lucerne and Signature Café.
The Senior Brand Manager acts as a brand steward for a large complex brand or portfolio of brands with key responsibility for identification, sell-in and launch of differentiated new products and initiatives to drive brand and category growth. They understand key issues that impact the business, while driving to meet business objectives through leadership and influence of cross-functional partners and business units. Effective people leadership – including management and coaching of direct reports – is integral to success in this role.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and lead annual brand strategy & business plan for large, complex business or businesses.
- Set lofty, but achievable objectives, strategies, tactics and targets for key elements of the marketing mix (e.g., promotion, packaging design, entry into new categories, line extensions, etc.) through collaboration with appropriate functional groups and senior management.
- Lead and influence cross-functional team to achieve high quality execution of business plan and successful sell-in and launch of new items.
- Must understand and influence P&L management for their brands. Identify risks and contingencies.
- Identify, prioritize and lead business initiatives to drive brand and volume/profit growth, conduct shopper research and in-market tests, obtain management and business unit alignment to key initiatives with fact based business proposals and lead successful execution (i.e. brand repositioning, category extensions, etc.)
- Lead development of consumer communications in collaboration with the Brand Director and corporate advertising.
- Proactively identify relevant marketplace dynamics and other key issues leading to actionable recommendations and sell-in of key initiatives (e.g., product quality improvements, and in-store promotions).
- Project Management and on-time launch of key initiatives.
- Travel is less than 10%
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Economics; MBA preferred.
- 7+ year’s work experience plus the education listed above.
- Demonstrated leadership and expertise in brand building, project management, marketing or sales, preferably at a Consumer Packaged Goods Company or Retailer.
- Experience effectively managing and developing people.
- Strong analytical and financial skills with ability to drive sales and profit objectives and to identify and prioritize business opportunities and risks.
- Strategic thinker, with good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Results-oriented, with excellent follow through. Able to operate independently in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Excellent project management skills; experience managing and leading multiple, complex projects concurrently. Able to set priorities, control timetables and manage budgets and complete projects on-time and on-budget.
- Strong sense of ownership and tenacity.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with ability to effectively manage and influence across complex, matrix organizations.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and syndicated data (IRI or Nielsen).
Respond to: Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a resume by visiting www.careersatsafeway.com
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER