Minneapolis based grocer and distributor Supervalu announced this week the winners of its annual Master Marketer competition, which recognizes excellence in marketing by independent retailers served by the company’s wholesale distribution business, Northern Region. Awards were presented in 20 categories at a ceremony during the annual Supervalu Storewide Merchandising Expo last week.
In addition to the 20 category winners, Lund Food Holdings Inc. of Edina, Minn., was named the 2013 Grand Master Marketer for overall performance. Lunds also was a winner in the public service/community and the website/social media categories for stores larger than 30,000 s.f. Lund Food Holdings Inc. includes 22 Lunds and Byerly’s supermarkets throughout Minnesota. Among the winners were two Private Brand standouts: County Market of Hudson, Wisconsin and Geyer’s Fresh Foods of Mansfield, Ohio.
“The Master Marketer competition showcases the best in advertising, community relations and other marketing efforts by independent grocery retailers each year,” said Mike Stigers, president, Supervalu Northern Region. “We were thrilled and impressed with the quality and creativity demonstrated by the more than 300 nominations we received for this year’s awards. All of the entrants continue to find new and exciting ways to connect with consumers in their respective marketplaces. Congratulations to the winners for their outstanding work in a very competitive field.”
Stores 30,000 s.f. and smaller
- Center Store Department—Jubilee Foods, Mound, Minn.; Bob Boese and Scott Logelin, storeowners.
- Extra Effort Advertising—Dick’s Fresh Market, Osceola, Wis.; Doug Rinehart, store owner.
- Fresh Department—Krause’s Market, Hazen, N.D.; D. and Kari Krause, storeowners.
- Grand Opening/Anniversary—Gordy’s Market, Chetek, Wis.; Gordy’s Inc.
- Industry Promotion—Blanton’s IGA, Packwood, Wash.; Hal Blanton, storeowner.
- Private Brands—Geyer’s Fresh Foods, Mansfield, Ohio; Rick Geyer, store owner.
- Public Service/Community—Coborn’s, Buffalo, Minn.; Coborn’s Inc.
- Radio Spots—Bailey’s IGA, Rochester, Wash.; Tammy and Brian Bailey, store owners.
- TV Commercials—Tatsuda’s IGA, Ketchikan, Alaska; Bill Tatsuda, storeowner.
- Website/Social Media—Wyatt’s Supervalu, Falmouth, Ky.; Dixie Owen, storeowner.
Stores larger than 30,000 s.f.
- Center Store Department—Pete’s County Market, Alexandria, Minn.; Neil Peterson, storeowner.
- Extra Effort Advertising—Cub Foods Lake Street, Minneapolis, Minn.; Jerry’s Enterprises.
- Fresh Department—The Markets, Bellingham, Wash.; The Markets LLC.
- Grand Opening/Anniversary—Jungle Jim’s, Cincinnati, Ohio; Jim Bonominio, store owner.
- Industry Promotion—Coborn’s Pine Cone Road, Sartell, Minn.; Coborn’s Inc.
- Private Brands—County Market, Hudson, Wis.; Jerry’s Enterprises.
- Public Service/Community—Lunds/Byerly’s, Edina, Minn.; Lund Food Holdings Inc.
- Radio Spots—Dissmore’s IGA, Pullman, Wash.; Archie McGregor III and Brian McGregor, storeowners.
- TV Commercials—Gordy’s County Market, Eau Claire, Wis.; Gordy’s Inc.
- Website/Social Media—Lunds/Byerly’s, Edina, Minn.; Lund Food Holdings Inc.
More than 300 marketing programs were submitted for the 2013 Master Marketer awards, given annually to independent retailers served by Supervalu’s wholesale distribution business, Northern Region, which includes Alaska, California, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Washington, West Virginia, Western Wisconsin and Wyoming, as well as Guam.