Are you ready for an exciting career move? We’re a fast moving $15 billion, Fortune 200 publicly-traded company with more than 10,000 stores and 11 distribution centers in 40 states, growing by hundreds of stores each year. We work in an energetic team atmosphere that leverages each person’s strengths and maximizes potential. We are committed to attracting upbeat, talented, and motivated people who can advance our mission of “Serving Others.”
Job Title: Director, Private Brands Packaging
Reports To: Sr. Director, Marketing
Responsible for directing and cultivating private brand portfolio for both consumables and non-consumables, core and seasonal merchandising. Partners with the private brand cross-functional teams and merchandising to develop packaging that promotes product trial through the effective use of visual appeal, appropriate and accurate information, and appetite appeal (when applicable). Responsible for directing both domestic and overseas product-packaging activities that support private label strategies.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manages private brand portfolio including, but not limited to, identifying brand line extensions and/or contractions, developing new private brand labels (in partnership with merchandising and private brand teams), updating and/or refreshing existing labels to make them more relevant, and ensuring the maintenance of accurate and up-to-date brand style guides for all current private brand labels.
- Develops and implements packaging design processes to launch new private brand SKUs and/or families of SKUs and refresh existing items that support and reflect brand standards. Meets agreed-upon timelines necessary to ensure products arrive in store to support and deliver on company sales goals.
- Manages internal and external relationships (design & production agencies, graphic artists, production companies, and manufacturing/printing,) to ensure art files are developed cost-efficiently and in the most appropriate manner to produce high-quality packaging specific to the appropriate type of print production.
- Provides leadership to all on-site positions supporting private brand packaging area. Organizes, structures and supports staff to meet packaging goals. Provides on-site employees with appropriate direction to include art direction, production guidance, and project management.
- In accordance with approved brand guidelines and standards, provides appropriate art direction for new SKU concepting for layout design, and/or photography and illustrations. Approves all packaging proofs and initial production to ensure accuracy of information and quality of production.
- Ensures the organization, routing and facilitation approval of art throughout the design process (design brief, concepts, mechanicals, films, printer proofs, and initial print run) to all product owners including buyers, brand managers and senior leadership. Manages the digital asset library for all new and maintenance of private brand items.
- Negotiates appropriate packaging development costs (production, art direction, photography, etc.). Ensures the appropriate vendor billing of production costs and fines to offset expenses and provide for sufficient monies to invest in non-funded private brand projects.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient, in-depth knowledge of effective consumer goods packaging design, production and costs
- Ability to identify opportunities to improve and streamline processes to maximize productivity and to reduce or eliminate waste and inefficiencies
- Solid understanding of the technical production components and challenges for both domestics and overseas printing
- Excellent project management, analytical, budgetary and negotiation skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to meet aggressive timelines
Work Experience &/or Education:
Bachelor’s degree with eight years of experience in consumer goods packaging development and management in a leadership role in a retail environment. Experience in managing multi-brand portfolios of brands. Experience in managing multi-team members and building and growing cross-functional intra-departmental relationships to accomplish shared goals and promote teamwork and buy-in. Experience in effectively managing, directing and growing relationships with third-party agencies and outside suppliers.
OUR BENEFITS PACKAGE
- Health, dental, vision and life insurance
- Long term disability
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance
- Company matched 401(k)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid vacation
- Onsite child care, ATM, cafeteria and fitness facility
- Free covered parking
- Fun, values centered work atmosphere
- Corporate casual dress
Dollar General is an Equal Opportunity Employer