PETCO – Brand Manager, Private Brand
Primary Location: United States-California-SAN DIEGO-9125 Rehco Road – Bldg 4 (0014)
Job: Product Development
Our vision at Petco is Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We’re making things better for pets, people and the planet through our Think Adoption First philosophy, the Petco Foundation and other important initiatives that focus on putting animals first, educating pet parents and reducing our carbon footprint. The journey starts with knowledgeable, passionately engaged associates who are proud to recommend Petco as a place to work, who believe in our Vision and who are committed to delivering a superior customer experience.
From our retail stores and our network of Distribution Centers to our Corporate offices, you’ll work with others who share your values and commitment. We seek individuals who are passionate about animal welfare, have great people skills and are driven to grow and advance in their careers with us. Our ongoing growth is creating exceptional opportunities for professional development and personal enrichment throughout our organization.
To support the development and execution of the Petco Private Brand positioning and portfolio strategy and brand architecture in order to enhance brand awareness, instill trust, and enable organization effectiveness within Petco Private Brand products.
This role is accountable for Branding for all Petco Private Brand products.
- Determine and set the strategic and financial objectives for Private Brand as well as identify the “target customer” and how the products will meet or exceed their specific needs.
- Set the strategies and manages assigned programs and brands, working with Private Brand Product Development, communications, Merchants, Merchandise Planning & Analytics and other cross-functional teams as needed.
- Establish the key product attributes and benefits and ensure products are assigned to the appropriate tier; develop and execute the brand positioning of the private brand products. Review the criteria for each tier with the various teams for complete understanding and buy in to the process.
- Write effective creative briefs and define communication hierarchy
- Remain knowledgeable about marketing related subjects such as Brand Management, consumer behavior influences and current marketing research methodologies.
- Provide the strategic objectives necessary to effectively partner with our Marketing team in the development of our go-to-market strategies on Private Brand products.
- Manage communications and specific market demographics to represent appropriate products and brands to ensure that the message is consistent with the Petco brand identity and voice; form trust in the Petco Private Brand and build customer loyalty to Petco through our product lines.
- To understand and remain knowledgeable of customer need, behaviors and influence triggers through market research and consumer testing; and formulate effective strategies to ensure the brands receive maximum quality and yield better results than those of our competitors for similar retails; ensure these teachings are incorporated into our packaging and training for associates; partner with our internal Marketing Research department to achieve the most effective results.
- Continuously demonstrate strong leadership abilities, effective communication and social skills, strong analytical skills and the ability to multi-task.
- Maintain a strong relationship/ partnership with the VP Brand & Creative Services in the development of new packaging designs. Consult and provide input into the creative process and ensure the development and adherence to product and packaging guidelines while staying within the master brand strategy.
- Maintain a strong relationship with marketing to ensure our brand message is appropriately and consistently communicated across all marketing channels.
This position does not have direct administrative supervisory responsibility. This position develops the strategic vision for the Private Brand products, establishes the architecture and ensures consistent execution across the brands. The incumbent works with Private Brand Communications team to maintain consistency of the Petco Brand through all private brand programs. And, works with the Product Development team to ensure that the products that they are developing is going to represent Petco in the way that our vision is set out to be.
The majority of job duties are conducted while seated indoors, with little or no exposure to hazards. Minor travel may be required.
Education and Experience:
- Normally requires a bachelor’s degree or equivalent, preferably in Marketing, Merchandising, Product Development, Product Design, Communications or Business with a discipline in Packaging.
- Requires a minimum of five years business experience, with direct involvement in packaging design and brand communications.
- Requires understanding the product side of the business either with experience directly with product as being in product development or merchandising, or by running cross-functional partnerships by executing on brand positioning.
- Requires working knowledge of import/export marketing and accounting relationships.
- Requires the ability to communicate via written correspondence with senior management, product development, merchandising, external vendors, etc.
- Requires the ability to analyze and evaluate new designs and design modifications from a budgetary or financial standpoint.
- Requires experience working in a fast paced, deadline-driven environment as well as the ability to self manage deadlines.
- Must be self-motivated and results-oriented with the ability to function effectively as a team member yet work independently.
- Requires the ability to effectively communicate conceptual ideas within a highly collaborative design process.
- Must be able to keep abreast of current trends in packaging and branding.
- Requires strong computer skills with knowledge of: Microsoft Office Suite: Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point and Adobe Suite: Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Requires a high level of creativity. Must be able to graciously receive constructive criticism and apply it to products and work processes.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and the ability to obtain a US Passport for international travel.
- An equivalent combination of education and related experience can be substituted for a degree.
- Experience in a retail environment is preferred.
- Experience with graphic or product design is necessary.