Delhaize Group Director of Sustainable Private Brand
Categories: CSR/ Envir Mgmt Systems Program Management
Skill Level: Mid Level
Position Type: Full Time
Delhaize Group is a Belgian international food retailer with activities in 11 countries on three continents. Our operating companies have acquired leading positions in key markets through a distinct go-to-market strategy. We offer our customers a locally differentiated shopping experience. We deliver superior value and maintain high social, environmental and ethical standards.
In 2012, we started work towards a new 2020 Sustainability Ambition, with a priority focus on sustainability of our private brand products. At the end of 2012, Delhaize Group’s sales network consisted of 3,451 stores. In 2012, Delhaize Group posted € 22.7 billion in revenues and employed 158,000 people.
We are currently seeking a “Director of Sustainable Private Brand.” The Director of Sustainability Private Brand reports to Delhaize Group Director of Sustainability.
The position will be located at our Corporate Support Office in Brussels (Anderlecht), Belgium.
Primary function: Sets strategic direction for Delhaize Group on building sustainability and health into our private brands across the globe; partners with Procurement teams across DG’s operating companies to set strong targets and monitor progress, engaging external partners as needed.
Leads the Delhaize Group strategy on Sustainable Private Brand (SPB) and facilitates its implementation, collaborating closely with leaders of Procurement in seven countries and other members of the company leadership (65% of time)
- Leads and manages the Group’s strategy on SPB
- Assesses trends and customer insights; engages internal and external stakeholders
- Primary representative for DG with The Sustainability Consortium(TSC), connecting TSC projects with Procurement teams across DG
- Advises operating companies on specific target setting
- Work with operating company Procurement teams to define SPB approach, milestones, and metrics, specific to local go-to-market strategies
- Tracks progress and reports results on SPB across all DG operating companies
- Facilitates and enables innovative project development at the operating companies
- Facilitates best practice exchange on sustainable products and explores potential synergies between operating companies
- Manages relationship with external partners, including relevant NGOs, consultants, and academics
Supervises the DG Sustainability Innovation Fund (internal funding mechanism to accelerate Sustainable Private Brand). (30% of time)
Budget and contract management (5% of time)
- Manages budget for Sustainable Private Brand, coordinating project spending with operating companies as needed
- Manages contracts with external partners and suppliers
Advises internal partners on trends and issues related to sustainable and healthy products
- University degree required; advanced degree in business or Sustainability-related field beneficial
- Strong working knowledge of Procurement; passion for and knowledge of Sustainability issues
- 7-10 years relevant business experience
- Proven leadership skills with a strong ability to influence people and organizations
- Core competencies desired: strategic thinking, leadership, influencing, teamwork, network-building, decision-making, organization, problem-solving
- Able to work under pressure
- Sound judgment, common sense, tact, professionalism are required