PB CAREERS: Family Dollar – Divisional Vice President Private Label
The DVP Private Brand is responsible for developing and executing all elements of Family Dollar’s Private Brand strategies. The Private Brand department is a key functional team within Merchandising that must work cross functionally with all business partners in merchandising, marketing, visual merchandising, quality control, global sourcing and others to deliver all aspects of the Private Brand program including branding and positioning, opportunity identification, assortment/mix planning, marketing/package design, data integrity management, sourcing and quality control. The DVP of Private Brand also manages the in-house private brand brokerage team, MMI, and insures cohesive partnership amongst all suppliers, brokers and merchants.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Develop PB branding and positioning strategy
- PB brand portfolio architecture – Develop and maintain the PB strategic framework to ensure consistent and appropriate use of all brands with the Family Dollar portfolio of brands. Ensure that product positioning and target economics are appropriately meeting the intended brand role and help merchandising teams create plans to address opportunities.
- PB opportunity identification – Assess FDO PB strategies and penetration versus competitors’ and overall market share to identify opportunities to launch new or build upon existing PB programs.
- Assortment/mix planning support – Work with merchants to develop their PB program objectives, determine which products to launch, and provide frameworks to help them create product specifications and meet financial objectives.
- Deep category analytics – Work with merchandising teams to conduct detailed reviews of their PB strategies to identify margin and/or sales improvement opportunities. Work with PB team resources, Nielsen onsite support, Customer Research, and Category Management to conduct detailed analytics.
- Competitive Insight and Consumer Trends – Attend industry conferences and stay abreast of competitors’ PB strategies and performance, as well as, product, consumer and retailer trends that should contribute to ongoing strategy development.
- Create and refine the PB business systems and processes to create greater efficiencies and effectiveness. Work with business partners to collaborate, support and execute PB initiatives.
- PB Marketing – Work with Marketing to develop marketing communications including brand logos, style guides and graphics, promotions and circulars, web communications, point of sale signage.
- Packaging—Manage a packaging engineer to develop and maintain packaging standards for printer certifications/qualifications in the US and abroad.
- Visual Merchandising – Work with the Visual Merchandising team to develop consistent standards for PB Visual Merchandising, including shelf placement and in-store signage.
- Brand registration – Partner with FDO Legal to ensure all private brand names are properly registered and the brand portfolio is being maintained appropriately.
- Sourcing – Identify opportunities for partnership between merchants and Global Sourcing and Procurement, leveraging their capabilities to identify, negotiate, and execute contracts with suppliers to optimize product quality and cost.
- Quality Control – Work with the Quality Control function within Global Supply Chain to ensure systems and processes are in place to ensure regulatory compliance, quality assurance, product performance, safety and logistical security.
- Data Integrity and systems – Work with the Item Set-up team, IT and Category Management to establish clean PB baselines, item set-up rules and systems changes for ongoing data integrity and reporting.
2. Manage the PB team responsibilities
- Tracking and Reporting – Communicate the Private Brand performance/progress toward stated goals and objectives to appropriate business partners and the senior management team.
- Cross Functional Team Building – Develop strong relationships and collaborative open partnerships with Merchandising, Global Supply Chain, Category Management, Pricing, Marketing, Legal, IT, Customer Research, and other applicable corporate support departments.
- Communication – Serve as the key PB contact for Family Dollar Executive Management, Strategy and Marketing, Merchandising and Merchandising Support Teams. Meet and communicate with Merchandising, Sourcing, Legal, Marketing, Store Operations, Distribution and Logistics on a regular and as needed basis to ensure all applicable programs, policies and procedures are effectively executed.
- Team management – Recruit, retain and develop all team members providing guidance, coaching and motivation to achieve stated objectives. .
- Develop and oversee critical initiatives needed to achieve corporate and departmental PB goals, objectives and business priorities.
- Other job-related duties as assigned, as part of the dynamic Strategy and Private Brand functions over time.
- Bachelors Degree from a four-year college or university or equivalent experience / training – Preferably business related. MBA or other graduate work highly preferred.
- 8-10 or more years of retail experience, with the ability to display a complete understanding of the retail product life cycle, financial reporting, and supply chain processes. Some international experience within a diverse global environment a plus.
- Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office including Excel, Power Point and Word. Possess strong financial management and analysis skills.
- Excellent communication, management and leadership skills.
- Strong conceptual and analytical problem solving skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate internally and externally.
- Ability to build effective teams across multiple functions and organizational levels.
- Strong project planning and management skills.
- Ability to develop the skills and capabilities of direct reports.
Primary Location: NC-Charlotte
Job Level: Executive
Education Level: Bachelor’s Degree (±16 years)
Shift: Day Job
Unposting Date: Ongoing
Relocation Assistance: Yes
Background Check Required: Yes
Drug Screen Required: Yes
Job #: MER05942