Meijer is a leading Supercenter located in five states throughout the Midwest, with nearly 200 stores and almost 60,000 employees. As a multi-billion dollar retailer, Meijer is ranked as the 13th largest privately held company in the country, as well as one of the top 30 most reputable companies in the United States by Forbes Magazine.
We have become a respected leader in the competitive retail market by sticking to our core values of customers, competition, family, freshness, and safety & health. Meijer’s Midwest geography includes corporate offices in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and stores, distribution centers, and manufacturing facilities throughout Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, and Kentucky.
From store leadership to marketing to buyers to finance, the variety of careers available at Meijer is as interesting and diverse as the people who fill the positions. While your job responsibilities may differ, the purposes are all the same: To make Meijer the best retail organization in the nation.
Meijer is embarking on a transformation to increase innovation and ensure a competitive advantage through Own Brand programs. The Sr. Brand Manager’s focus will be to influence that transformation by leveraging experience and interpersonal skills to develop Meijer Own Brand strategy for Foods, Drug Store, and Consumables in collaboration with Merchandising and Marketing. While final P&L resides with the Merchant business owner, the Sr. Brand Manager will have shadow P&L responsibility for the Meijer Own Brand business.
Key responsibilities include:
- Developing plans and executing projects and initiatives that support the broader short term and long term Own Brand strategy
- Influencing overall Merchandising business objectives by collaborating with Merchandising in the development and execution of Own Brand business strategies and plans, category and product development
- Developing partnerships with Merchandising business owners including Vice Presidents, Directors, and Buyers
- Developing, mentoring, and leading direct reports including Brand Category Managers (responsible for day to day business activities and execution), and Associate Brand Category Managers, as well as Mentors cross-functional indirect reports in the execution of key initiatives for their respective business channel
- Collaborating in a multifaceted, cross-functional environment to develop strategic supplier partnerships with the worldwide supplier community in conjunction with Merchandising and Sourcing teams
- Analyzing and providing consumer, trend, category, and industry information to support Merchandising and Marketing initiatives that drive and grow Meijer Brands
- Collaborating with Marketing in support of brand and product launch, consumer activation, promotion, and evaluation
- Leading the team in creating product innovation pipeline that will drive a competitive advantage
- Ensuring Meijer Brand products deliver against our Brand Promises for respective business channels
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred in business or related discipline
- Minimum of 5-10 years of experience in product development and innovation, business development, and/or category management
- Solid interpersonal and communication expertise and the ability to influence, and work cross-functionally in both leadership and mentor roles
- Previous experience selecting, leading, and motivating a team
- Strong presentation and writing skills
- Strong analytics and financial skills
- P&L experience
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Results oriented and self-motivated
- Must have a style that promotes respect, credibility and trust throughout the organization
- Must be a business leader and calculated risk taker
Job: Merchandising/Merchandise Planning
Job #: 1200004310
Primary Location: MI-Grand Rapids
Other Locations: MI-Grand Rapids
Latest posts by Christopher Durham (see all)
- The Power of Sam – Sam’s Choice Redesigned! – May 19, 2013
- Last Chance TO WIN FREE Conference Tickets – Deadline Ends Today! – May 19, 2013
- Food Lion Promotes Private Brands & Invests in 178 Stores in Five States – May 19, 2013