- Support the overall Staples Brands Group’s goals and objectives
- Drive profitable overall sales and margin growth in his/her assigned categories across the North American business units
The APM will work to achieve sales and margin goals for existing and new SKUs by developing and executing assortment, promotional, and marketing tactics to support specific product categories. The primary functions include leading the development, communication, and execution of a rolling product roadmap for key categories that provide a steady stream of new products. To best manage the new product pipeline and grow sales of existing items, the APM will work closely with the Product Management Director and cross functional teams including partners from Merchandising, Product Development, Design, Marketing, and Operations to deliver products and selling strategies that differentiate Staples vs. the competition.
Own Brand Product Strategic Planning
Help to develop and manage the tactical execution of the rolling product road map as defined by the Director of Product Management for his/her specified categories that is aligned with the categories’ Own Brand role designation.
New Product Management
Lead new product development for new products. Lead development of project briefs to ensure they provide sales growth, margin expansion, and/or market differentiation. Partner with Merchants to ensure that strategies and roadmaps support their selling objectives. Work with internal market research teams to ensure the voice of the customer is incorporated into new products. Execute physical package design with a focus on quality and innovation. Utilize the Product Lifecycle Management system to track all new projects. Partner with Product Development to ensure products meeting feature, quality, and timeline expectations.
Demand Generation Activities
Develop selling strategies and execute all merchandising, promotional, and marketing tactics intended to deliver budgeted sales and margin in the assigned categories. Actively manage activity by the internal creative agencies to create key marketing materials, as well as category and product specific packaging briefs for promo and everyday products. Work with cross functional team to execute elements of the cohesive marketing plan across multiple channels and vehicles. Partner with Direct and Contract Merchants to support Own Brand needs related to catalog and online presentation of Own Brand products
With direction from the Product Management Director, work closely with merchants in US Retail, Staples Business Delivery and Contract to drive Own Brand product sales and overall brand presence. Run meetings with merchants and manage significant follow-up needed to keep projects on track. Analyze financial data and reports to provide compelling information that supports strategic selling plans. Maximize opportunities to drive Staples brand products in promo locations throughout the year. This includes analysis of prior promotions, awareness of market trends and recommendations for promotional products.
- Bachelors degree required
- Minimum 3 to 6 years of experience in New Product Management
- MBA preferred
- Ability to manage project timelines and demonstrate practical decision making.
Relevant category experiences a plus.
Understands current trends affecting category growth and demonstrates strong product and category curiosity
- Strong analytical and financial skills.
Strong interpersonal skills, resourcefulness and a sense of urgency in accomplishing goals through collaboration and communication with all levels of management
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal with the ability to clearly articulate Own Brand new product plans
- Strong Excel and PowerPoint capabilities
- Creative thinker with passion for innovation, customer feedback and new product opportunities
- Team player able to work cross functionally to accomplish strategic initiatives
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and changing environment, including the ability to prioritize multiple high-importance tasks and stay organized
- Some marketing experience preferred.
JOB #: 843802
Job Level: Manager/Supervisor
Shift: Day Job
Job Type: Experienced