Senior Brand Manager – Safeway Inc
Requisition Number: MKTN121921
Safeway Inc., a Fortune 100 Company, is one of the largest food and drug retailers in North America with 1,500+ stores. The Safeway family of brands includes some of the most prominent brands in food retailing, with a growing base of loyal shoppers. Thanks to the professionalism, diversity, spirit and friendliness of our people, we have locations across the U.S. and Canada.
Diversity is fundamental at Safeway. We foster an inclusive working environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee is both recognized and valued. We believe that building successful relationships with our customers and our communities is only possible through the diversity of our people. And a diverse workforce leads to better teamwork and creative thinking, as well as mutual understanding and respect.
The Consumer Brands Department has an opening for a Senior Brand Manager. This position is located in Pleasanton, California.
Now more than ever, consumers view “private label” as brands in their own right. Join the team that JD Power cites as being a key driver of this transformation – Safeway’s Consumer Brands. Safeway’s Consumer Brands division is responsible for developing and managing an innovative portfolio of category leading brands including O Organics, Open Nature, Lucerne and Signature Café.
The Senior Brand Manager is accountable for brand equity management and financial objectives for a large, complex brand or portfolio of brands with key responsibility for identification, sell-in and launch of differentiated new products and initiatives to drive brand and category growth. They understand key issues that impact the business, while driving to meet business objectives through leadership and influence of cross-functional partners.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and lead annual brand strategy & business plan for large, complex businesses or multiple businesses.
- Set lofty, but achievable objectives, strategies, tactics and targets for key elements of the marketing mix (e.g., promotion, packaging design, entry into new categories, line extensions, etc.) through collaboration with appropriate functional groups.
- Lead and influence cross-functional team to achieve high quality execution of business plan and successful sell-in and launch of new items.
- Must understand and influence P&L management for their brands. Identify risks and contingencies.
- Identify and lead business initiatives to drive brand and volume/profit growth, conduct shopper research and in-market tests, obtain management approval with fact based business proposals and lead successful execution (i.e. brand repositioning, category extensions, etc.)
- Lead development of consumer communications in collaboration with the Brand Director and Corporate Advertising.
- Proactively identify relevant marketplace dynamics and other key issues leading to actionable recommendations and sell9in of key elements of the marketing mix (e.g., product quality improvements, Catalina and in-store promotions).
- Project Management and on-time launch of key initiatives.
- Travel is less than 10%
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Economics; MBA preferred.
6+ years work experience plus the education listed above.
- Demonstrated leadership and expertise in sales, marketing or project management, preferably at a Retailer, consumer-driven manufacturer or service provider or Consumer Packaged Goods Company.
- Experience managing and developing people.
- Strong analytical and financial skills with ability to drive to sales and profit objectives and to identify business opportunities and risks
- Strategic thinker, with good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Results-oriented, with excellent follow through. Able to operate independently in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Excellent project management skills; experience managing and leading multiple, complex projects concurrently. Able to set priorities, control timetables and manage budgets/complete projects on-time and on-budget.
- Strong sense of ownership and tenacity.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with ability to effectively manage and influence across the organization.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and syndicated data (IRI or Nielsen).
Respond to: Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a resume by visiting www.CareersAtSafeway.com.