Bharti Walmart, a joint venture between India-based Bharti Enterprises and Bentonville, Arkansas based Walmart, has rolled out a line of ready-to-drink fruit-based beverages under the international Private Brand, Great Value.
The new Great Value line products where specifically developed for the Indian consumer and include: fruit drinks, flavored cola, jaljeera and milk, and the products are exclusively available at all easyday and easyday Market stores across 12 states in India.
Flavors include Great Value Aloe Vera Pineapple Drink, Mango, Litchi and Guava.
- Great Value Aloe Vera Pineapple Drink carries a blend of aloe vera and pineapples, available in 1l bottle for INR55 ($1.04).
- Mango comes for INR75 ($1.42) for a 2l bottle pack, and Litchi and Guava are available for INR81 ($1.54).
- Great Value fruit drinks consist of seven varieties, which also include Lemon, Apple and Mixed Fruit. A 500ml bottle of Masala flavored Cola comes for INR25 ($0.47).
- The line also includes traditional Indian flavors like Jaljeera, which is available for INR25 ($0.47) for a 500ml bottle.
- Flavored Milk in Rose, Elaichi, Kesar and Coffee variants are also on offer
I can’t help but wonder if the Walmart US team should look at international products and flavors like these to reinvigorate their soda program. Despite the significant changes in many other categories, the soda program feels old, tired, an also ran.
And while I am stirring the pot – the Easyday name and logo complete with its Walmart burst would be a natural choice for the creation of a true basic/value tier Private Brand, that would live below Great Value. For the last few years these products have existed as phantom unbranded offerings in categories throughout the store. Whether it is unbranded paper towels with a Walmart distribution clause or the old school “Great Value” ice cream that is now unbranded; these products account for a significant percentage of the store.