Job #: MER05865
The Sr. Creative Manager will oversee the management of all aspects of creative brand packaging design and development, including packaging production. The role will direct the work of artists, production coordinators, pre-press agencies and creative in building and enhancing the customer relevance and integrity of our growing portfolio of consumables private brands (10+ brands, representing ~$1 Bn in annual sales with plans to grow to well over $1.5 Bn). The role is pivotal in on-time delivery of our products to shelf and requires a collaborative team player who brings creativity, strategic brand development expertise, extensive packaging development experience and stellar process management skills.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Direct a team of artists and production coordinators in executing item-packaging development. Provide design direction and packaging execution guidelines to the team, monitor performance and implement creative solutions and corrective actions as necessary to improve the execution of our visual standards.
- Optimize the current packaging development process to drastically reduce time to shelf. Provide on going process improvement. Partner with the Project Manager to implement and refine the automated workflow management technology to provide better process management and reporting.
- Develop new brands and refresh existing brands leveraging a customer-centric approach. Includes leading the process of identifying the target audience, developing the brand positioning/creative brief, driving the RPF process for design and pre-press services, leveraging artists and agencies to develop new brand names and design concepts, engaging Family Dollar’s research team to test approaches with customers, developing brand style guides, and directing artists in the adaptation of brand designs across all customer communication touch points (packaging, print, web, in-store signage, etc.)
- Develop the skills and capabilities of our Production Coordinators, Project Coordinators and Graphic Artists and build a high performing team dynamic. Deliver regular performance reviews and manage performance issues proactively.
- Bring a strategic vision across the portfolio of brands to ensure both the strength of individual brands, as well as the clear delineation of brand role and communication across the brand portfolio.
- Ensure appropriate review process for all packaging for correct copy, creative, style, intent. Gaining buy-in from merchandising and private brands leadership.
- Develop strong, collaborative relationships with internal and external partners, including the interfaces with Pre-press firms, Suppliers, Buyers, Business Teams, Creative Agencies, Quality Assurance and Legal for the development, review and approval of all private brand creative programs and packaging execution.
- Prioritize and allocate resources appropriately to deliver against targeted timelines. Update project status and proactively surface and resolve delays and other issues impacting timelines.
- Anticipate and solve complex design, architecture and technical issues with the production of packaging art. Advise artists and production coordinators in resolution of issues.
- Leverage technical knowledge of packaging and printing technology to improve execution of our brand standards, including teaching packaging development team members to interpret and adapt art to various printer specifications and dielines across all package forms and types.
- Supervise brand content and manage access to brand assets. Develop and maintain brand guidelines and standards and as well as their usage.
Other job-related duties as assigned
Education: Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in design, brand management and/or business.
Experience: 15+ years of supervisory package design and creative development experience. Must display understanding of the retail product life cycle and supply chain processes. Experience managing teams of direct reports and 3rd party agencies.
Technical Skills: Must be expert in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat Professional. Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office including Excel, Power Point, Word and Outlook. Familiarity with workflow management technologies appreciated, but not required.
Critical Skills: Excellent communication, management, supervisory and leadership skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize effectively
- Understanding of regulatory and other packaging communication requirements for consumables products including EPA, FDA, USDA and regulatory requirements
- Familiarity and experience with packaging dielines across all package forms
- Energetic & passionate about creative brand development
- Instinctive feelings about future product and brand concepts
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of Merchandising, Quality Assurance, Global sourcing as well as with FDO’s suppliers and third party agencies
- Strong negotiation skills
- Experience in responding to the results of consumer research
Primary Location: NC-Charlotte
Job Level: Manager
Education Level: Bachelor’s Degree (±16 years)
Shift: Day Job
Unposting Date: Ongoing
Relocation Assistance: Yes
Background Check Required: Yes
Drug Screen Required: Yes
Latest posts by Christopher Durham (see all)
- Amazon Private Brand – Not so Basic! – Apr 20, 2015
- PB CAREERS: Macy’s – Group VP – Men’s & Kid’s Private Brands – Apr 20, 2015
- Aldi Introduces Premium Red – Artifakt – Apr 19, 2015