FreshDirect is the leading profitable online grocer in the U.S. with customers in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. It is known for its fresh-from-the-farm foods and brand-name groceries at everyday low prices, all delivered to customers’ doors. FreshDirect’s food experts rate all produce and seafood every morning and give each item an Expert Quality Rating to help customers choose what is best and in-season. FreshDirect customers can enjoy over 600 Entrees and Side Dishes, made fresh daily by professional chefs using the finest, freshest ingredients. FreshDirect ranks 70th on Internet Retailer’s Top 500 Guide®. For more information, please visit www.freshdirect.com. For updates, follow us on Twitter: @freshdirect and on Facebook: facebook.com/FreshDirect.
The Director of Merchandising – Grocery is responsible for developing and managing the strategic product, placement, pricing and promotion of a Category. The Director of Merchandising – Grocery has the responsibility of the full sales, gross margin, and building market share within the Category Management Plan of assigned categories.
- Has full P&L responsibility for assigned category
- Develops annual category business plan
- Develops and implements category strategic plans
- Initiates and executes marketing plans for weekly and annual marketing programs.
- Interacts with category teams and vendors to develop sales plans, programs and promotions that meet both organizations’ goals and objectives.
- Establishes retail pricing guidelines, gross profit, sales objectives, and program and inventory turn objectives to maximize profit potential in conjunction with the Annual Operating Plan.
- Sources innovative new products, ideas and promotions including the ability to get in / out of trends quickly. Develops own brand strategy in each category related to the primary competitor
- Maintains competitive analysis
- Optimizes SKU mix, sales and gross margin and the achievement of sales and gross margin budgets for the assigned category
- Partners cross functionally to ensure results
Plans and carries out work assignments; resolves most conflicts which arise; coordinates work with others as necessary; interprets policy on own initiative in terms of established objectives. Keeps Teamleader informed of progress, potentially controversial matters, or far-reaching implications
Trains, assigns work to, and checks work of two (2) or more Team members; participates in the decision to hire, fire, and promote Team members; does not conduct the same work as Team members on a regular basis
- BSBA with a specialization in Marketing / Finance preferred
- Minimum 6 years in an analytical, merchandising role with some management experience
- Demonstrated working experience in marketing strategies, vendor and product negotiations, item and promotions
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent leadership, negotiating, and planning skills a must
- Strong oral and written communication.
- Financial acumen and analytical skills.
- Solid influencing and negotiations skills.
- Proven experience working across business units to leverage resources and capabilities to accomplish company goals.
- Proficient in Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the Team member(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of individuals in this position. Position Descriptions may be subject to change as the needs of the organization changes.
As EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYERS, Fresh Direct, LLC and its affiliates do not discriminate against applicants or employees because of their race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender (except where gender is a bonafide occupational qualification), disability, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, marital status, veteran status, domestic violence victim status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by federal, state, or local law.
Latest posts by Christopher Durham (see all)
- Aldi “Like Brands. Only Cheaper” – Jul 2, 2015
- Macy’s Gives Donald The Boot – Jul 2, 2015
- PB CAREERS: Sally Beauty – Packaging / Graphic Designer – Jul 2, 2015