New York City based bookstore Barnes & Noble, today expanded its portfolio of bestselling Private Brand NOOK devices with the introduction of NOOK Tablet — with 8GB of memory, a tremendous value for the company’s fastest and lightest tablet at just $199. NOOK Tablet — 8GB version offers reading and mobile entertainment enthusiasts another great option in the NOOK family of devices. In addition, the company’s highly popular NOOK Color just became an even greater value at $169.
“For any customer who likes to read digitally, watch movies or TV shows, browse the web, or help their kids read and learn through interactive books and apps, our new $199 NOOK Tablet with 8GB is the best product value on the market,” said William Lynch, Chief Executive Office of Barnes & Noble. “NOOK Tablet is the highest-rated wireless media tablet in the 7-inch class, ultra-portable at under a pound, offers our exclusive VividView screen technology, and since its introduction this holiday has received rave reviews from customers about all its great features. We’re pleased to now offer customers the ability to experience NOOK Tablet’s unmatched content experience for only $199.”
The newest member of the NOOK Tablet family offers the great features of top-selling NOOK Tablet — 16GB, but with 8GB of on-board memory, 512MB of RAM and a lower cost of just $199. NOOK Tablet — 8GB version includes all of these great features also available on NOOK Tablet — 16GB ($249):
- A highly tuned 1GHz dual-core processor for streaming video and lightning-fast Web browsing so customers can surf their favorite sites, and built-in email to stay easily connected with friends and family
- Breakthrough battery life, with 11.5 hours of reading time or nine hours of video viewing.
- With on-board storage plus convenient microSD memory expansion, customers have ample space for their reading and entertainment content, regardless of Wi-Fi availability
- The world’s most advanced VividView display for viewing content, with 16 million colors and a resolution purity that’s simply gorgeous
- Popular movies, TV shows and music from top services including Netflix, Hulu Plus, Flixster, Pandora, Rhapsody, Grooveshark, MOG and many more.
- Thousands of top-rated, high-quality NOOK Apps, all optimized for NOOK Tablet’s ultra-responsive 7-inch color touchscreen, in categories including Games, Kids, Travel, Education, Lifestyle & Interest, News & Weather, Social, Productivity and others. Favorites including Cut the Rope, Disney Publishing’s It’s a Small World and more are coming soon to the robust NOOK Apps catalog.
- Barnes & Noble’s award-winning reading experience, featuring more than 2.5 million digital books, periodicals, children’s books and more, including: — NOOK Newsstand: An expansive collection of more than 450 digital periodical titles, which includes the largest digital collection of top 100 magazines available for subscription and single copy purchase. Colorful interactive magazines offer Barnes & Noble’s ArticleView, animated page turns and smooth pinch, zoom and panning. Many special edition NOOK Magazines feature videos, quizzes, image galleries and more.
- NOOK Kids: More than 1,400 interactive children’s picture books, some featuring animation and engaging activities, and more than 12,000 chapter books. With Read and Record, customers can use NOOK Tablet’s built-in microphone to record and save their reading of any NOOK Kids picture books so children can listen to their favorite storytellers anytime.
- NOOK Comics and graphic novels: A vast collection of full-color comics, graphic novels and kids’ comics in high resolution and the largest digital collection of Marvel’s graphic novels available through a third party, as well as other titles from leading publishers including Archie, IDW and Dynamite. Through a partnership with VIZ Media, LLC, the largest publisher of anime and manga in North America, NOOK customers can access more than 30 series, featuring nearly 430 volumes.
- Books and more: Continuously expanded NOOK Store with the vast majority of books available for $9.99 or less. Barnes & Noble’s digital book collection includes PagePerfect NOOK Books featuring cookbooks, craft and art books rendered with rich precision to retain all the beauty of their stunning print versions, and enhanced reading with PDF thumbnail page views, and image pinch, zoom and pan in books and PDFs.
- Discover and socialize: Learn what to read next from Barnes& Noble’s knowledgeable booksellers with personalized recommendations, or connect through NOOK Friends to share thoughts, lend books through the exclusive LendMe technology and more via email and sites like Facebook.
- Continuous reading: Read what you love, anywhere you like on NOOK devices and with FREE NOOK Reading Apps. Sync your library, last page read, bookmarks, etc. across all of your devices through NOOK Cloud.
- Sleek and thin with a soft touch back design, and lightweight at under a pound (14.1 oz.), making it easy to carry in a handbag, briefcase, backpack or suit jacket pocket for reading and entertainment on-the-go.
Customers can, as always, access their personal NOOK Library through the free, reliable and secure NOOK Cloud service, which also powers the seamless integration and synchronization between devices, as well as NOOK’s best-in-class shopping experience and social features.
Says Lynch, “NOOK Tablet, NOOK Color and NOOK Simple Touch represent the highest-quality portfolio of reading and entertainment products on the market at the best value. Whether it’s movies, music and apps on-the-go that you crave, or a simple, immersive reading experience, we offer great products and more choices than ever before with our product portfolio, starting at just $99.”
software solution for higher education, NOOK Kids(TM) ( www.nookkids.com ), a collection of digital picture and chapter books for children, and NOOK Books en espanol(TM) ( http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooksenespanol ), the first-ever Spanish language digital bookstore in the United States.