Supervalu’s vision is to become the industry’s Private Brands leader, driving competitive advantage by innovating and taking intelligent risks to create a brand experience that continually over-delivers on consumers’ trust, confidence, and loyalty and drives them to seek out Private Brand products. The Director of Merchandising & Sales of Private Brands will play a key role in developing merchandising and sales initiatives to support brand business plans and strategies.
The Director of Merchandising & Sales will become a region/banner expert and drive organizational linkage and alignment (serve as a liaison between corporate merchants, banner merchants, Independent Regions and available resources).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborates with brand / product management to develop growth objectives and plans that align with enterprise, category and Private Brand strategies.
- The Director will lead development of merchandising and sales plans to drive organic growth and reach penetration goals based on understanding and meeting consumer needs.
- Responsible for communicating plans and driving alignment across the enterprise. This involves primary communication with corporate merchants, banner merchants, independent regions and available resources.
- Collaborates with product management; marketing, corporate and region merchandising for new item launch plans. This involves best practice sharing, communication and forecasting.
- Collaborates with product management on brand/item rationalization and implements at division level.
- Responsible for development, communication and driving alignment of strategic promotional, pricing and schematic recommendations.
- Active participant in high performing cross-functional product teams to provide sales and merchandising direction and feedback.
- Responsible for developing, monitoring, and providing feedback against multiple scorecards.
- Fosters a culture that embraces Private Brands through aligning merchandising and marketing strategies from Private Brands to the banners and regions.
- Collaborates with marketing and product management to develop, drive alignment and execution of private brands consumer promotional programs.
- Responsible for training and development of team and available resources.
- Direct supervision of Manager level employees
- Work guidance to cross-functional team members
- Provides leadership, coaching and complies with process related to development of subordinates
- Bachelor’s degree in related field. MBA preferred but not mandatory.
- 6-10 years experience leading multi-functional teams in merchandising and sales.
- Chain or independent retailer experience essential.
- Proven leadership, strategic planning, category management, and strong analytical and communication skills essential.
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to work with key stakeholders in organization to drive business results.
- Experience in a change management role to transition current capabilities to meet strategic opportunities.
- PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT:
Most work is performed in a temperature-controlled office environment.
- Incumbent may sit for long periods of time at desk or computer terminal.
- Incumbent may use calculators, keyboards, telephone, and other office equipment in the course of normal workday.
- Stooping, bending, twisting, and reaching may be required in completion of job duties.
- Company-wide travel, up to 20%.