Safeway Inc., a Fortune 100 Company, is one of the largest food and drug retailers in North America with 1,700+ stores. The Safeway family of brands includes some of the most prominent brands in food retailing, with a growing base of loyal shoppers. Thanks to the professionalism, diversity, spirit and friendliness of our people, we have locations across the U.S. and Canada.
Diversity is fundamental at Safeway. We foster an inclusive working environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee is both recognized and valued. We believe that building successful relationships with our customers and our communities is only possible through the diversity of our people. And a diverse workforce leads to better teamwork and creative thinking, as well as mutual understanding and respect.
The Brand Management Department has an opening for a Senior Brand Manager. This position is located in Pleasanton, California.
Now more than ever, consumers view “private label” as brands in their own right. Join the team that JD Power cites as being a key driver of this transformation – Safeway’s Consumer Brands. Safeway’s Consumer Brands division is responsible for developing and managing an innovative portfolio of category leading brands including O Organics, Eating Right, Lucerne and Bright Green. O Organics is now the #1 organic brand in the organic market and together with Eating Right™, a successful health and wellness brand constitutes a high volume in sales.
The Senior Brand Manager manages all elements of a brand in terms of both brand equity management and optimal financial performance (sales and profit responsibility). They understand and manage all key issues that impact the business, while driving to meet business objectives. Develop and coaches assistant managers and provides cross-functional organizational leadership.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and lead annual brand strategy.
- Develop annual business plan.
- Set objectives, strategies, tactics and targets for all elements of the marketing mix (e.g. volumes, price, promotion) through collaboration with appropriate functional groups.
- Lead cross-functional team to achieve high quality execution of business plan.
- P&L management. Identify risks and contingencies.
- Identify and lead business initiatives. Identify opportunities, conduct research, obtain management approval with fact based business proposals and lead to successful execution (i.e. brand repositioning, new communication initiatives)
- Lead development of consumer communications in collaboration with corporate advertising.
- Set objectives and strategies for consumer promotions and manage implementation.
- Collaborate with category development to set category promotion objectives and programs.
- Develop and coach assistant brand managers and guide marketing skill development.
- Understand relevant marketplace dynamics and other key issues leading to appropriate recommendations for the marketing mix (e.g., product quality, pricing, promotions, distribution).
- Travel – 25%
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Marketing; MBA preferred.
- 4-8 years experience plus the education listed above.
- Demonstrated leadership and expertise in brand building and marketing, preferably in a Consumer Packaged Goods Company.
- Strong financial skills with ability to drive to sales and profit objectives
- Strategic thinker, with good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Desire to continue to learn and develop.
- Self-motivated, with a sense of urgency.
- Strong project management skills; ability to manage multiple projects.
- Strong sense of ownership.
- Good working knowledge of marketing principles (4 Ps), creative and able to generate respect among peers.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with ability to effectively manage across the organization.
- Manage staff groups on specific projects
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and syndicated data (IRI, Nielsen)
Respond to: Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a resume by visiting www.CareersAtSafeway.com