Family Dollar – Matthews, North Carolina
The Project Manager, Private Brands will oversee project management for brand development and packaging artwork initiatives for our full portfolio of private brands. This person will own and manage the project management of initiatives from initiation to completion including detailed project planning and integration with merchandising calendar milestones, managing artwork traffic, setting and tracking project milestones, identifying and mitigating obstacles and risks. This role is responsible for aggressively managing project workflow and priorities to inform resourcing decisions and ensure the creation and execution of realistic development timelines across multiple simultaneous projects. The role will direct the work of one or more project coordinators who will facilitate the volume of tasks required and act as the primary point of contact for our buyers and product suppliers as related to the overall packaging artwork process. The role is pivotal in managing the on-time delivery of our products to shelf across our growing portfolio of private brands (20+ brands, representing over $2 Bn in annual sales with aggressive growth plans). We require a collaborative team player who brings creative problem solving and stellar process management and process improvement skills.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Direct and manage the end-to-end brand development timeline, process and integration with merchandising calendars for all brand development and packaging initiatives from design initiation through completion of packaging label design completion.
- Plan, recommend and manage cross-initiative resource allocation and timelines to enable delivery of multiple projects/priorities simultaneously given project dependencies, critical path activities, constrained resources, deadlines and lead times of other departments/partners (i.e., QA testing and label review, legal review, 3rd party production art and design firms, package printing, product production and shipping lead times, shelf set dates, executive reviews, etc).
- Define project scope, objectives, deliverables and realistic timelines that support the business goals and merchandising calendar requirements for each project in collaboration with Private Brand and Merchandising leadership and other key stakeholders.
- Manage one or more project coordinator direct reports to effectively manage the volume of work required to collect and disseminate needed information and communication throughout projects. These project coordinators will be the primary point of contact for suppliers and Family Dollar buyers throughout the artwork process and be responsible for executing project plans, managing workflow tasks and follow up, documenting status updates and maintaining digital assets.
- Determine the workflow model, resourcing needs and timeline for each project by project phase, incorporating lead times and needs of: Quality Assurance for quality approval and label review, Legal for trade dress review, relevant merchants, supplier partners, package printers, internal graphic artists, and outside pre-media and design agencies.
- Document full-scale project plans and associated communications documents.
- Proactively identify project timeline issues, delays, bottlenecks and constraints and work to build collaborative solutions to ensure on time project delivery.
- Incorporating learning’s and best practices into ongoing workflow, IT system, and process improvements
- Manage the AssetLink /MRM workflow system as key business owner of our workflow management technology platform, including hierarchy management and organization of the Digital Asset Library.
- Design reporting tools for individual project and overall program management reporting.
- Maintain project status, lead management reporting of project initiatives, ensure timely stakeholder communications and provide clear status updates with issues and recommendations.
- Facilitate training needs and /or assistance to workflow process tools for all users including buyers, suppliers, and art production.
- Other job-related duties as assigned
- Lead project management process and be accountable to timelines.
- Experience in developing, leading and managing timelines through workflow process tools.
- Experienced leading multiple large multi-faceted projects from initiation to completion.
- Process Improvement management experience.
Education: Bachelors Degree
Experience: 5 – 7 years experience in project management capacity. Prior experience managing a major software implementation and trafficking multi-input processes in a large retail, CPG or agency environment. Marketing, Product Development or Supply Chain experience a plus.. Must display successful demonstration of leading multifaceted projects using timelines and process management. Experience managing direct reports. Exposure to Six Sigma preferred.
Technical Skills: Experience working with workflow management systems desired. SAS experience a plus. Experience and/or exposure to Kaizen (continous improvement process techniques) Expert managing and deploying Workflow process tools. Microsoft Project, Mircrosoft Excel, Power Point and Word.
Critical Skills: Excellent communication, organization, process management and leadership skills
- Ability to interact and take initiative with supplier/vendors and multiple internal functions including Merchandising, QA, Art Production and Management.
- Ability to organize tasks and develop clear timelines
- Ability to keep all parties informed of accountabilities to timeline
- Excellent project management and process design skill
- Ability to multitask and prioritize effectively
- Ability to effectively communicate with Suppliers/Vendors and all levels of Merchandising, Quality Assurance and IT
Primary Location: NC-Matthews
Job Level: Manager
Education Level: Bachelor’s Degree (±16 years)