PB CAREERS: Private Brand Manager, Packaging Design – Kohl’s
Responsible for the creative development of Kohl’s private, licensed, and seasonal brand packaging programs. The Manager of Packaging Design will act as a key liaison between Product Development and Marketing on the development and management of all new and updated brand programs. This position will lead a creative team, working closely with the Director of Packaging, to ensure all private, licensed, and seasonal brand packaging is designed to meet all strategic and marketing brand objectives ensuring brand programs are competitive with boutique, specialty store, and national brand benchmarks.
Build and Maintain Business Partnerships
- Work directly with the Director of Packaging to create private, licensed and seasonal brand packaging with focus on designing to strategically elevate the brands in order to compete with retail boutique, specialty store, and national brand benchmarks.
- Focus on building relationships between Packaging team and extended production teams (PM, Separators, Copy Editing, Copy Proofing) with goal of managing partnerships, mentoring teams, defining communications, of all technical aspects of the production process and procedures.
- Manage effective communication of private, licensed, and seasonal brand vision amongst all internal clients (PD, Merchant teams, Marketing teams) with focus on partnership in order to service all brand packaging objectives.
- Build partnerships with internal and external talent (photographers, copywriters, illustrators, and production support) to ensure consistent brand vision.
Maintain Packaging Design and Production Processes and Procedures
- Facilitate daily design and production procedures, including scheduling, time and action plans, staffing requirements, layout reviews, internal proofing, and final project approvals.
- Coordinate and manage to internal and external packaging department Design and Production processes and procedures for all areas of Home and Fashion packaging.
- Work with Director of Packaging to ensure consistency of all private, licensed, and seasonal brand packaging.
- Manage communication and brand vision with packaging vendors & manufactures establishing all design and production requirements, standards, timing and action, and approval process.
Research and Define Packaging Trends
- Build team and individual awareness of competitive marketplace and packaging design trends through research elevating Private, licensed, and Seasonal brands to strategic benchmark levels.
- Partner with manager of Color & Trend to establish competitive brand standards and positioning with focus on all packaging brand objectives (materials, pricing, positioning, brand differentiation)
- Work with Director of Packaging on approvals of all private, licensed, and national brand standards and positioning (materials, pricing, brand positioning)
- Set and communicate trend vision and standards for team on all private, licensed, and national brand packaging
Management of associates
- Manages direct reports, systems and projects to achieve unit goals in accordance with Company policies and practices.
- Prepares and analyze unit plans and reports.
- Provides leadership by exhibiting influence and expertise, thus affecting the results of the operating area.
- Creates an effective work environment by developing a common vision, setting clear objectives, expecting teamwork, recognizing outstanding performance and maintaining open communications.
- Develops staff through coaching, providing performance feedback, providing effective performance assessments and establishing performance and development plans.
- BFA in Design or Packaging Design
- A minimum of 5 years design or package design experience.
- Working knowledge of up-to-date design programs (InDesign, Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop)
- 3-5 years of talent management experience
- Experience in Cross Company communication and culture.
- Experience in team building.
Product Development Manager- Rock & Republic – Kohls
Facilitate and direct the development and purchase of private branded products manufactured exclusively for Kohl’s Department Stores.
- Drives, rather than executes, private brand and product management.
- Builds a working partnership with Kohl’s merchant staff to take the leadership role to create private branded product lines.
- Communicates, conceptualizes, develops, and sets standards for all of Kohl’s private branded products, direct import, and domestic imports.
- Seeks development opportunities domestically and overseas.
- Works with Kohl’s agent (Li & Fung) and domestic manufacturers to source/purchase private branded products.
- Communicate with Kohl’s Merchant group, Planning and Allocation, Product Development team, Agent and our vendors as we create, develop and source new product.
- Partners with the Buyers to drive the process, develop product, determine private brand assortment, and create brand integrity.
- Leads the working relationships between all parties involved in the development and production of private branded merchandise for Kohl’s. Creates comprehensive, cohesive brand presentations.
- Sources product, following all details, pricing strategies, and timing.
- Completes follow-up on all placements to ensure product specifications, quality standards, deadlines, and deliveries are met as contracted.
- Ensures product standards are met once orders are placed with a specific maker.
- Ensures products conform to any or all legal requirements and is packaged and labeled appropriately.
- Active involvement with and knowledge of Kohl’s factory compliance efforts.
- Facilitates the approval process for all private branded merchandise purchased by Kohl’s (trims, packaging, color, fabric, fit, etc).
- Interfaces with Design and Trend team to assist in development of Kohl’s Private Brands.
- Ensures all products are brand and customer appropriate.
- Manages and trains assigned staff.
- Tracks business daily
- Is fully conversant in merchandise statistics of private brands and department business.
- Aggressively pursues new business opportunities and brings to fruition successfully.
- Leadership experience in product development and / or merchandising. Private Brand experience a must.
- Overseas business travel, sourcing and purchasing experience for 7+ years.
- Knowledge of the product manufacturing techniques, fabrications, costing that will be used to produce the line of products the manager will be responsible for.
- Extensive line building and merchandising experience.
- Has extensive buying experience.
Additional Information and Disclaimers:
- Regular attendance is required
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and interact effectively with others
- Critical features of this job are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.