PETCO, San Diego, CA
PETCO is a leading specialty retailer of premium pet food, supplies and services. PETCO’s vision is to best promote, through its people, the highest level of well being for companion animals, and to support the human-animal bond. PETCO operates 1000+ stores in the United States, as well as a leading destination for on-line pet food and supplies at www.petco.com.
We have an opportunity for a PRODUCT DESIGNER for our National Support Center in SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA.
Provide engineering design for all aspects of assigned product line to ensure functionality, quality, cost, and schedule by performing the following duties:
Essential Job Functions
- Develop and design products to be produced in our Private Brand labels. Execute within the schedule and budget parameters.
- Produce vendor ready designs that can be easily understood and executed by our suppliers.
- Participate in sales presentations and licensor trend presentations as needed.
- Photoshop photographs of product as needed if sample is not true to production for marketing materials.
- Participate in planning for trade shows and attend trade shows to interact with vendors and customers.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
Performs additional duties as required, assigned or directed.
Nature of Supervision
The Designer works under the general supervision of the Director of Product Development. The Designer contributes designs of a distinctive style, completes artwork for design development and performs other duties as assigned.
Planning and Problem Solving
- Provide support to manufacturing to ensure product is fabricated and assembled based on the intended functionality of the design.
- Development of new product concepts for products sold across all channels of distribution. Must balance innovative product design with functional requirements and aesthetic appeal.
- Track trends, color research, and new developments in products and materials to incorporate into product designs.
- Design new product that addresses cost parameters per brand, demonstrating an understanding of material costs, component costs, and labor intensity.
- Execute color renderings for Licensor/approval.
- Execute technical CAD drawings for manufacturing.
- Specify all colors using available library and design details on Excel Design Specification Cover Sheet.
- Execute drawings as needed for design revisions (due to cost considerations, technical challenge, or change in style).
- Design product related items (cases, tray cassettes) as needed.
- Prepare and deliver 100% accurate digital art files and product specifications for offshore manufacturing.
- Provide design, proofing and product specification follow-up throughout the manufacturing process as needed.
- Manage multiple design projects with tight deadlines switching priorities quickly without losing momentum.
- Supervisory Responsibility
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. BS/BA in Product Design or Fine Arts.
- Minimum 2 years of experience including:
- Designing within a hard accessory category (i.e. eyewear, jewelry, home product/ giftware, handbags, shoes etc.);
- Designing for licensed branded product and/ or private label product;
- Interacting with brand merchandisers, overseas vendors, licensors, and sales; and
- Experience in a fast paced, deadline driven environment and ability to self manage deadlines.
- Expertise in at least one 3D program, such as Solidworks or Pro/Engineer.
- Self-motivated and results-oriented with the ability to function effectively as a team member yet work independently.
- Ability to communicate ideas within a highly collaborative design process including giving and receiving feedback on design work.
- Provide presentation materials, product mockups, concept boards and other materials for new product concept reviews, sales pitches and product launches.
- Provide product specifications to Sourcing for product development and pricing
- Keep abreast of current trends in color, fashion, and competitive products.
Qualifications also include strong computer skills with knowledge of: Microsoft Office Suite: Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point and Adobe Suite: Photoshop and Illustrator, CS3 or higher in MAC, Additional CAD software optional. A competent incumbent will have a high level of creativity and fashion trend knowledge. They will be a team player with leadership skills. Humility is required. They need to be able to graciously receive constructive criticism and apply it to designs and work process. Self-motivated, energetic, positive attitude.
If you are seeking a unique career, then PETCO is the place. We provide a fun and challenging career environment where your voice will be heard. You will be given the tools to succeed including training and development programs. We encourage you to take initiative and express your entrepreneurial spirit. We recognize your creative ideas and talents by offering exciting professional growth opportunities. At PETCO our associates are our most priceless and irreplaceable asset. Apply today for a rewarding opportunity at PETCO.
At PETCO, Animals Always Come First. Our People Make it Happen! Come. Learn. Stay.
Bring your pet to work with you, we do! We are pet friendly!