Sam’s Club Launches Artisan Fresh

Christopher Durham Jun 14, 2011 12

Earlier this month Bentonville, Arkansas-based warehouse club store Sam’s Club announced that it would launch three new Private Brands: Artisan Fresh, a selection of premium food products ranging from baguettes to apple pies; Simply Right, a personal care collection including diapers and pet care; and Daily Chef, which includes grocery staples such as olive oil. The announcement signals a dramatic strategic shift for the Sam’s Private Brand portfolio with these brands replacing large portions of the long established Members Mark brand. The move has the potential to dramatically shift Private Brands at Sam’s from a strict margin play to a point of differentiation. From a lesser copy of Costco’s Kirkland to a portfolio of relevant consumer brands that can engage club members and drive loyalty.

Sam’s Club has started to roll out Artisan Fresh foods including: croissants, bagels & breads, pies, sausage, bruschetta, hummus, pastas and meal solution packaged mashed potatoes.

Simply Right will begin to appear in stores this month, while the rollout for Daily Chef will begin in July.

Below is a collection of photos from a recent store walk featuring Artisan Fresh. This is definitely a upgrade from the dated Members Mark design that presents a unique, premium and engaging brand. Stay tuned for the posts on Simply Right and Daily Chef.

Latest posts by Christopher Durham (see all)

1. shoobydoo Jul 15, 2011 at 8:36 pm - Reply

Your chicken-apple sausages have recently changed in either the way they are made, or the ingredients used. Our family used to love them, but the last two purchases were unsatisfactory to say the least. We won’t be purchasing that item again.

• Karla Feb 11, 2012 at 11:32 pm - Reply

The chicken and apple sausage smells horrible and doesn’t taste any better. I was totally embarrassed when I had to take some to a party (ran out of time). I kept it covered and threw it out after the party…it smelled horrible.
      Sam’s Club used to carry some wonderful sausage options that people would rave about when I served them. Now, yuck!

I don’t know if it was Emeril’s or what…but Sam’s… please bring them back. Artisan…yuck!

2. LOVEMUFFIN Jul 18, 2011 at 12:24 pm - Reply

I was in Sam’s this past weekend and sampled one of the mozzarella and roasted garlic chicken sausage and purchase two packages. One was the three cheese chicken sausage. I placed them in a little water on top of the stove and in another pan placed onions,olive oil and sweet peppers. Once the sausage was done I place them and some potato’s in the pan with my spices and all I can say is they ate it up. ON MY WAY BACK FOR MORE. I am a fan of this favor. The price really needs to be lowered.

3. Vicki Oct 1, 2011 at 4:43 am - Reply

THE ARTISIAN FRESH BRUSCHETTA IS NOW AVAILABLE AGAIN, BUT IS NOTHING LIKE THE PREVIOUS BRUSCHETTA THAT SAM’S CLUB OFFERED. NOW WE GET TO PAY $3 MORE PER JAR, AND GET CHUNKY TOMATOES IN SUGAR, OIL, AND GARLIC. WHOEVER CAME UP WITH A CHANGE TO ADD SUGAR TO THE OLD INGREDIENTS DOESN’T KNOW HOW BRUSHETTA IS SUPPOSED TO TASTE.

I WON’T BE PAYING $10 A JAR FOR SUGAR TOMATOES. PLEASE SOMEONE GET THIS FIXED!! They used to sell all they could stock, then they didn’t stock it all, now they’re trying to pass off some wierd substitute.

4. C. Van Heyden Nov 16, 2011 at 12:42 pm - Reply

Artisan Fresh looks to be a winner in most categories; however I sampled for the first time their Orchard Harvest Lattice Pie and found that it contained PG (Propylene Glycol), an industrial wetting agent used in anit-freeze, cosmetics, sun tan lotion and other topical products. It has had a bad effect on my body in the past, and if I had found the ingredients tag on the bottom in small print sooner I would not have bought that particular variety of pie. The cherry and pumpkin would have been my next choice, since those do not contain, at least by ingredient list PG. The story of PG is one of economy since glycerin and other bio-friendly alternatives are available for keeping cookies and pies moist, though they are bit more in cost to provide as an ingredient. Some may say, “well it’s FDA approved”, but we know now that not only is the “FDA” not infallible it is often very wrong in these cases. Enough said, I brought this subject to light two years ago with some 4″ pies being sold by Walmart for ‘Country Baker’ of Marsville, Pennsylvania, and after several letters to Quality Assurance that V.P. told me in a letter that they were seeking different moistening agents than proylene glycol.

In reviewing the AF products at Sams Club, I found only the Oatmeal Cookies were also using PG, all other cookies and pies there were without PG as an ingredient, so that’s the upside as well. Not a lot to improve.

5. Stephanie Nov 22, 2011 at 1:32 pm - Reply

I loved the three cheese chicken sausages but it seem these are no longer made. I’m very disappointed. These were a staple in our house, but not sure I will be buying any more. The Mozzerella and Roasted Garlic is OK but not my favorite.

6. Christine Mar 1, 2012 at 1:46 pm - Reply

The bakery always had Artisan Fresh Oatmeal Cinnimon chip cookies that were AWESOME!! My husband cannot eat raisins and these were perfect. They disappeared just before Christmas being replaced with red velvet cookies. PLEASE bring them back!

7. carl woughter Apr 24, 2012 at 1:38 pm - Reply

do not change anything in the bruschetta,it is a wonderful product,and i love it,2 jars a week!!!!!

8. Carole Rago Jan 13, 2013 at 9:12 am - Reply

My family loves the Artisan Fresh Spinach Artichoke Dip. Can it be frozen?

9. Trena Jun 4, 2013 at 9:47 am - Reply

I am panicking over not being able to find Artisan Fresh bagels at my Sam’s Club! Did they discontinue them?????

10. Nancy Dec 30, 2013 at 2:25 pm - Reply

I loved the Artisan Baked Potato Soup. Was it discontinued? if so, please bring it back.

11. Stephene Jan 31, 2014 at 12:06 pm - Reply

Artisan Fresh Spinach Artichoke Dip..is it gone from your shelves indefinitely? Please bring it back sooner rather than later!

%d bloggers like this: