This position is to support the company’s strategic initiative to grow Private Brand (PB) Product and PB sales. The associate plays a significant role in supporting Category Management in driving the process and leading the team to successfully execute the strategies and achieve the financial goals established by the Company for assigned product categories.
The Private Brand Manager (PBM) drives the execution of the Strategic Sourcing initiative by supporting the Category Director. The primary goal is to reduce the cost of goods sold by driving increases in direct sourcing, private brands and spurring innovation. The PBM is responsible for the overall management of product development and sourcing activities from project planning to delivery of product to in-store opportunities.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Sourcing Management:
- Develop and maintain vendor relationships that support category needs to provide the best “cost” and “value” equation.
- Some international travel may be required to work with global vendor and agent network.
- Cost negotiations, production, on-time shipments and overall execution for assigned product categories.
- Manage the overall project timeline, lead weekly cross-functional team meetings, identify risks that may affect the timeline and lead efforts to mitigate risks. Communicate the project status to all cross-functional team members.
- Partner closely with the Category Director to develop the product road map and provide financials, feasibility, timelines, resources, and consumer insights that will form the basis of essential product features.
- Manage milestone dates for each product
Product Development and Private Brand
- Develop product solutions in support of the Merchandising direction and ensure that the Company’s goals of product innovation and quality are achieved.
- Work closely with Trend and Design, to have an active understanding of the market and consumer insights and drives freshness and uniqueness into the product offering.
- Lead product ideation sessions, competitive shops, and identify product opportunities.
- Understand assigned category including sales, competition, marketing, and product offerings.
- Identify and communicate all sales, margin, and marketing opportunities for Private Brand products.
- Monitor all Private Brand product performance based on sales, margin and sell-through.
At Michaels Stores, Inc. (located in Irving, Texas), creativity is at the center of everything we do. We’re the world’s largest specialty retailer of arts, crafts, framing, floral, wall décor, and seasonal merchandise for the hobbyist and do-it-yourself home decorator. Since 1984, we’ve made an art of pursuing a unique purpose – To Inspire Creativity and Fun! Providing crafters of all ages with the fullest range of quality products, we’ve discovered a design for continual growth, one that is inspired from within.
Beginning with just 16 locations, Michaels has expanded to over 1000 retail stores that span the whole of North America, from Miami, Florida to Vancouver, British Columbia. With over 40,000 specialty items, the Michaels brand has rapidly become the first choice in crafts and creative supplies. Additional subsidiaries include 166 Aaron Brothers stores to further our scope of product offerings.
In 2006, Michaels went to the next level, with the $6 billion dollar merger with the private investment firms, Bain Capital Partners LLC and The Blackstone Group. Expanding by nearly 50 new stores each year, Michaels sustains an average annual sales and earnings growth of 11.4%, and 22.9%, respectively.
For our dedicated managers and associates, this means unprecedented opportunities for creativity in their own lives and the chance to design a rewarding career unlike any other.
Posted: June 2, 2011
Experience: Mid-Senior level
Functions: Business Development, Art/Creative, Other
Industries: Consumer Goods, Import and Export, Retail
Job ID: 1664284