Food Lion Announces My Essentials

Christopher Durham Apr 26, 2011 20

Delhaize owned Salisbury, NC based grocer Food Lion confirmed in its blog “Food Lion Insider” that it will join its Delhaize banner mates and launch the new “My Essentials” Private Brand  replacing their existing basic/value tier brand Smart Option. At first glance this appears to be the first revelation in a dramatic Private Brand portfolio shift that will inevitably lead to the elimination of the banner (Food Lion, Hannaford, Sweetbay, etc) Private Brands in favor of one mega brand that will allow Delhaize to leverage its total store count and purchasing power for better prices and hopefully better products. The post below also reveals that some of the banner (Food Lion) branded products will be converted to My Essentials, stay tuned its going to get interesting.

Food Lion Launches New Private Brand “My Essentials”

In June 2011, Food Lion will fully launch Delhaize America’s new private (store) brand My Essentials which will represent approximately 500-700 items store-wide. The My Essentials product line will be a clearly branded value line for all Delhaize America banners, which include Bloom, Bottom Dollar, Harvey’s Supermarket, Reid’s, Hannaford, and Food Lion.

My Essentials is a healthy choice pledging to be trans fat free and reducing the total sodium, sugar, and fat where possible. With the new private brand you will see the Smart Option brand phase out from Food Lion’s shelves.

We have already begun to see My Essentials appear on shelves in our local neighborhood Food Lion. (Read about the switch from Food Lion’s Instant Tea Mix to My Essentials Lemon Iced Tea Mix)

1. Food Lion Insider May 12, 2011 at 1:14 am - Reply

We just wanted to say that the views expressed at Food Lion Insider are not the views of Food Lion, LLC (“Company”), its parent companies, nor any of its subsidiaries. Food Lion does not represent nor endorse any opinions expressed within our blog and any content uploaded by Food Lion Insider is our responsibility, not that of the Company.

While we have an authoritative voice online regarding Food Lion, Food Lion Insider is not the authoritative voice for Food Lion and it is not a Company-run blog. Food Lion Insider is a blog run by a Food Lion associate that loves grocery retail and helping customers and coworkers.

We don’t want anyone to be confused.

Best regards,
    Food Lion Insider

2. Robert C Thomson Oct 17, 2011 at 10:55 am - Reply

Are the products under the My Essentials label made in the U S A or a foreign country????????????????

• myprivatebrand Oct 17, 2011 at 9:01 pm - Reply

I am not affiliated with Delhaize, Hannaford, Food Lion or any of their other banners or with the My Essentials Private Brand so I can not accurately answer the question.
      I can however tell you that it is a very large brand manufactured in many facilities, the location of the facility is not indicative of the quality.
      thanks
      christopher

• Herbert Joyner Feb 12, 2012 at 3:23 pm - Reply

I cannot find where My Essentials milk is made. I know Food Lion does not have a dairy,etc. Until I know where the milk is processed, I do not plan to buy any more milk or other products marked “my essentia

• myprivatebrand Feb 12, 2012 at 4:03 pm - Reply

Herbert
        This site is not affiliated with My Essentials or Food Lion, However I can tell you that grocers across the country source their private brand products from the best manufacturers available. Dairy and liquids like you mentioned are typically sourced locally as the cost of shipping milk long distance is too high.
        Most American private label food products are sourced domestically from great manufacturers. In some cases however overseas product is procured to maintain quality and authenticity: wine from France, cheese from Italy, chocolate from switzerland, numerous fruits and vegetables from south America provide fresh produce to Americans year round.
        I would also remind you that many national brands source their products from different manufacturers.
        Kraft processes cheese they rarely make it
        Apple has no manufacturing facilities
        Quaker uses many manufacturers
        Girl scouts cookies are produced at numerous bakeries across the country.
        I shop and buy my essentials milk for my family and recommend it to anyone who asks.
        Thanks

Christopher

3. Grandi Oct 23, 2011 at 2:25 pm - Reply

I tried the My Essentials 1%milk this weekend, as it was a good price. I poured some over my morning cereal, but it had a bad taste. Next I smelled the milk in the carton but it did not smell at all “turned”, or spoiled. I poured some in a glass and took a mouthful. It just had an awful taste and I spat it out. I fear this brand will not be using quality food items and will not try anything else.

• Theresa Oct 29, 2011 at 9:40 pm - Reply

Thanks Grandi! I went searching online today to find if anyone had the same reaction as my boyfriend this afternoon. He wanted to enjoy his My Essentials 2% milk with his Holloween cupcake. After a huge gulp of the milk, he came running to the kitchen sink to spit the milk out. The milk was absolutely terrible. We will NEVER buy any My Essential products again!

• Justin Nov 6, 2011 at 9:55 am - Reply

We’ve only had issues with the smaller cardboard cartons–the plastic gallon jugs have always maintained decent taste, but I’m about to return a carton for its horrifying taste. It’s well inside expiration and was kept in the same refrigerator as plastic jugs that didn’t taste terrible. This is the second or third time we’ve experienced this, and always with the cardboard cartons; I think the problem is the material being used to line the carton. Either way, it’s atrocious.

4. MartySC Oct 31, 2011 at 5:48 pm - Reply

I have not tried the milk, but so far, white bread , potato chips and Soda. I noticed all were very good and I will continue with them.

5. Derek Nov 14, 2011 at 11:45 am - Reply

Im always looking for good diet soda brands. I have tried your Diet Ginger ale,Orange Soda,Zero Cola and Dr.Perky brands and find them to have a very good taste and flavor.I will be buying more of them. I wish you also did a Diet Grape Soda.

6. krissy Jun 18, 2012 at 6:38 pm - Reply

Why wont the my E$ssentials brand tell us where they are made!! Im assuming we are funding that craphole Mexico

• myprivatebrand Jun 19, 2012 at 1:48 pm - Reply

My Essentials is a very large brand with a incredible number of sku’s that are manufactured in factories that specialize in each product. I would not assume that any My Essential product is manufactured in Mexico or any other country. I would however assume that they are made to the recipes and standards of the brand owner Delhaize and its grocers.
      Remember many national brands do not manufacturer all of their products.

7. steven D. Warner Oct 17, 2012 at 11:28 pm - Reply

I just purchase a jar of Dry Roasted Peanuts ..my essentials…distributed by DZA Brands no country of origin, no MADE IN USA or any other country. I’m sorry but items like this we will not purchase again. With so many jobs lost in the USA and so much contamination from overseas and out of country sources we will no longer buy any products that aren’t clearly marked. Waggin Tails is one product we found made in China…..distributed by an American company we won’t buy because of the ties to Communist China. We as consumers have to watch every dollar and we refuse to watch them continue to go out of the country any longer.

8. Jean Delisle Mar 17, 2013 at 8:24 pm - Reply

I would like to know if the My Essentials Bleach is a disinfectant. The label only says, Brightener and Deodorizer.

9. joshua Mar 22, 2013 at 1:37 pm - Reply

my essentials:

food lion is Type
    Subsidiary of Delhaize Group.

food lion headquarters in
    Salisbury, North Carolina

Delhaize Group headquarters in
    Anderlecht, Brussels, Belgium.

usa / europe

10. Sarah Jul 10, 2013 at 4:40 pm - Reply

My biggest concern is that these products are coming out of China. China has much lower standards for food production than we do. They grow their garlic in human feces and they are one of the biggest garlic producers in the world. I was warned about buy garlic in a jar, to check and see where is was imported from. No place on my Natures Place jar of minced garlic does it say where it’s made. If they were getting their items from the US why are they not saying so. Instead they are not telling you anything.

11. ROBIN HORD Oct 14, 2013 at 12:39 pm - Reply

I shop 95 % at Food Lion and am always looking to save money I have tried a lot of the Essential products. I have discovered that any of the products using dairy are not as good and have thrown many things out. I have found out anything that I try I need to try before I depend on it. I made a red velvet cake from scratch, not cheap to make. Decided to use Food Lion’s Essential cream cheese frosting. It totally ruined my cake, the expense of the cake and was embarrassing. I only used it due to saving time, not money. My family will not end the Essential brand of sour cream, cream cheese, cheese, there is a huge difference in the taste and quality. I’ve learned my lesson, from now on it’s scratch or name brands. Also my dogs will not eat Essential dog food, they turn the bowls over and leave it. I have gone round and round with my local food lion on refunds, forget the double back offer, it’s not worth the time arguing with the manager although I love most of the employees and will continue to shop there. I am very disappointed in the Essential products…

• daniel Feb 26, 2014 at 12:05 pm - Reply

I live in MD just west of Baltimore and My Essentials milk is by far better than any other milk I’ve tried. It’s the only milk I will purchase anymore. Thumbs way up to whatever dairy is producing this.

12. jimmy Jan 15, 2014 at 11:20 am - Reply

Does anyone know who makes “my essentials” ketchup?

13. Dawn Apr 5, 2014 at 11:07 am - Reply

I just opened a quart of My Essentials skimmed milk and it had the most terrible chemical taste. the milk was so bitter I had to spit it out. It was not spoiled and the expiration date was for April 18. I will never try anything from My Essentials again.

%d bloggers like this: