This post comes from the influential branding blog Brand Strategy Insider. Its another post in a group over the last few weeks that focuses on best practices in branding and end of the year lists. Retailers and Private Brand marketers have made a lot of progress over the last few years, but these lists continue to point out that brands and Private Brands alike continue to have growth opportunities and challenges. Brad VanAuken, the Chief Brand Strategist for the Blake Project, wrote the original. Brad is recognized as one of the world’s leading experts on brand management and marketing, Brad wrote the best selling book Brand Aid, the first comprehensive practical, ‘how-to’ guide on building winning brands. He is a much sought after consultant and speaker, he writes extensively for the business press and academic journals and is regularly quoted in trade publications.
- Learn everything about your customers. Understand them at a deep level. Know what motivates them. Know what they aspire to and what they fear.
- Stand for something important to your customers. Let them know that you share their values.
- Interact with your customers as if they were your partners. Respect them. Listen to them. Collaborate with them. Co-create new products and services with them.
- Grow with your current customers. Identify how you can meet more and more of their needs. It is much less expensive to sell a current customer one more thing than it is to gain a new customer.
- Innovate. Don’t rest on your laurels. Anticipate your customers’ needs. Give them something that they would really appreciate but perhaps had never conceived of before.