The new role of Private Brands Quality Manager will develop, build and maintain a strong Private Brands product portfolio for Walmart Canada. The vision for Private Brands, integral to the 5-year Corporate Strategy, is to drive Unbeatable Price perception with consumers and drive profit. This individual will be charged with defining and maintaining consistent quality for all private brands within the Walmart Food and Consumables businesses, putting upward pressure on the quality of our total offering and the rigor in which we develop Private Brand products.
- Create a New Product Quality Process: Develop well-defined product quality measures according to the individual brand position (Opening Price Point tier, Premium tier, Walmart Private Brands) to ensure consistent product delivery to the consumer.
- Formalize quality measures – initiating rigour around the development of all private brand products
- Ongoing Quality Process Management: Become the driver and gatekeeper of consistent product quality for all Food & Consumables.
- Initiate regular, formal quality evaluations involving Associates through to Senior Management to ensure quality levels are consistently being maintained
- Document quality measures – capture key product specs, and target competitive product benchmarks for ongoing quality maintenance
- Develop & Manage Product Test Kitchens: Implement on-site product quality testing kitchens
- Develop an associate-involved test kitchen as a primary indicator for benchmarking Private Brand quality vs the competition
- Conduct product quality testing regularly and document results, use for product development and renovation
- New Product Quality Development: Develop new product quality cues based on the competitive product benchmark for categories identified as product development opportunities
- Work with Product Development within Merchandising and the supplier community to communicate these quality requirements and manage throughout the product development process
- Improve product nutritional value where possible, leveraging knowledge of Canadian Regulatory environment and nutrition
- Create Benchmarking for Renovating Existing Products: Define competitive product benchmarks for the existing Private Brand product portfolio and renovate products where necessary to improve margins
- Work with Product Development within Merchandising and the supplier community to communicate these quality requirements and manage quality throughout the product renovation process
- Knowledge of categories
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science/Food Engineering
- Minimum 6-8 years of previous experience required
- Must have strong analytical skill and be able to make independent decisions
- Ability to communicate extensively with internal and external customers
- Must be a self-motivated, self directed team player
- Substantial attention to detail is necessary.
- Working knowledge with MS Word and Excel
- Willingness to learn and adapt to change