Mega online retailer Amazon launched “Your Kindle Commercial Contest” and invited customers to participate in a competition to develop the best 30-second or less advertisement for the retailers Private Brand e-book reader the Kindle. Entrants will have an opportunity to win $15,000 in Amazon.com gift cards. Despite the fact that is a Private Brand product competing against mega national brands like Sony and Apple the Kindle is the bestselling item on Amazon.com for two years running, and has the most 5-star reviews of any product on Amazon.com. It is refreshing to see Amazon behave as a national brand neither asking for permission nor apologizing for its Private Brands. Other retailers could learn from their example and leverage their retail brand and Private Brands to create engagement and differentiation.
According to the Amazon website:
Ever had an idea for a TV commercial and think “I could do that?” We are looking for people like you… This year we are excited to announce the Your Kindle Commercial Contest. Film your own 30-second video advertising the Kindle, and you’ll get to compete for $15,000 in Amazon.com Gift Cards. In addition to the Grand Prize, we will also be awarding $2,500 in Amazon.com Gift Cards to select runners-up.
“Every day we’re more and more impressed with our customers’ ideas and creativity,” says Rich Williams, director of advertising. “Last year’s ‘Your Amazon Ad Contest’ was so successful that we ended up running the winning commercial as a part of our holiday TV campaign and it was seen by over 100 million people across the United States.” We invited winners Angela Kohler and Ithyle Griffiths to join creative forces with Amazon and since then, they have produced two more stop-motion Kindle spots that you can view here and here. We’re excited to see what our customers come up with for the Your Kindle Commercial Contest.
How This Works
- Between 8/1 and 9/3: You’ll submit a 30-second video of what you would want to see in an Amazon Kindle commercial.
- Between 9/04 and 9/19: Our judging panel will select five finalists, including the Grand Prize winner and up to four Semi-Finalists.
- On 9/20: We’ll announce the winner of the Grand Prize who will receive a $15,000 Amazon.com Gift Card*, and the winners of the Semi-Finalist Prizes, who will each receive a $2,500 Amazon.com Gift Card*.
What We’re Looking For
We’re looking for a new 30 second commercial that most effectively communicates the Kindle experience. The commercial can focus on one or more features, be brand focused, or communicate how reading on Kindle makes you feel. Just show us something that would catch your eye (or ear) and make you want to buy a Kindle. We also are open to ads that talk about the ability to read Kindle books anywhere with our free Kindle reading apps. Ads that draw comparisons with competitive products are welcome; however, we will not consider submissions that attack and denigrate competitors. Read the Official Rules.
Our official judging criteria for determining the finalists and semi-finalists are:
2. Overall appeal
3. Likelihood of making viewers want to buy a Kindle (or get a free reading app).
- Books in 60 seconds – Think of a book and start reading it in 60 seconds. Kindle uses the same 3G wireless technology as advanced cell phones. But unlike cell phones, there are no monthly bills and no annual contracts.
- All-New, High Contrast E-Ink Screen – 50% better contrast
- Read even in bright sunlight – No glare
- New Sleek Design – 21% smaller body with same 6” size reading area.
- 15% Lighter – Only 8.7 ounces, read comfortably for hours with just one hand.
- Battery Life of One Month – A single charge lasts up to one month with wireless off.
- Double the Storage – Carry up to 3,500 books wherever you go.
- Buy Once, Read Everywhere – Read your Kindle books on all your devices.
- Global 3G Wireless – At home or abroad, wireless works in over 100 countries.