Grocery trade magazine Supermarket News recently released its annual “Supermarket News Power 50” for 2010 and the list has few if any big surprises. The categories big players dominate the top fifteen so of course they are also big Private Brand players. The one notable exception is the first Lady, Michelle Obama who is recognized for her work on combating obesity and her commitment to local food. The other exception comes in at #39 and is notable the “New digital consumer.”
The Top 10
1. Mike Duke, president and CEO, Wal-Mart Stores
2. Steve Burd, chairman, president and CEO, Safeway
3. David Dillon, chairman, and CEO, Kroger Co.
4. Craig Herkert, president and CEO, Supervalu
5. Michelle Obama, first lady, United States of America
6. John Rishton, CEO, Ahold
7. Charles Youngstrom, co-president, Aldi U.S.
8. Pierre-Olivier Beckers, CEO, Delhaize Group
9. Danny Wegman, CEO, Wegmans Food Markets
10. Jim Sinegal, CEO, Costco Wholesale Corp.
11. Charles C. Butt, chairman and CEO, H.E. Butt Grocery Co.
12. Ed Crenshaw, CEO, Publix Super Markets
13. David Shapira, chairman, president and CEO, Giant Eagle
14. Ric Jurgens, chairman and CEO, Hy-Vee