Copywriter – Private Brands: Petco
San Diego, CA
The Product Development Team is looking for a Copywriter, Private Brands.
The successful candidate will enhance brand awareness and trust, and enable organization effectiveness within PETCO Private Brand products. This role is accountable for creative marketing communication, regulatory compliance, consistency of instruction and messaging on packaging, and Branding for all PETCO Private Brand products. In addition, develop, implement, and manage the processes within the Private Brand Design department to verify PETCO is following all legal and regulatory requirements, while also staying consistent with the PETCO brand identity and voice.
To be further considered, the ideal candidate should be able to perform all of the following duties and responsibilities with or without a reasonable accommodation:
- Manage communications and specify market demographics to represent appropriate products and brands so that the message is consistent with the PETCO brand identity and voice.
- Write and manage creative text for private brand products to result in increased education for the PETCO guest about the product as well as their pets, which in turn will result in increased sales and profit.
- Manage the Product Development projects that are regulated through the process working with our external FDA consultant, internal regulatory team, and Product Development team to make sure that we address all regulatory concerns prior to products ever hitting our shelves.
- Write and manage a process to work with external NIST consultants, and internal Product Development team members to validate the way we label and recommend all products to our PETCO guests.
- Plan, prioritize, and get copy executed through various parties for all Private Brand products by creating a process to validate the product purpose, write and route copy, and execute for packaging, online, signage and associate/customer education.
- Create and manage a process for executing copy/text for all products within PETCO Private Brand that will be prioritized, accomplishes multiple tasks, and stay within firm timeframes.
- Create guidelines for detailed copy that includes specific product features and benefits to increase education of the PETCO guest to be able to increase sales for the Private Brand business.
- Generate creative solutions to translate information on how to educate the consumer about our PETCO Private Brand products through charts, etc. as well as copy that is easy to understand.
- Collaborate closely with the Regulatory Compliance team, and 3rd party advice council to satisfy state requirements for labels.
- Oversee the NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) consultants to satisfy any and all governmental legal requirements for labels.
- Manage the work with design, product development, and additional cross-functional teams to plan and execute all published content.
- Utilize keyboard 50% to 80% of the day to write copy and carry out other functions of the position.
A 4-year college degree in Journalism, Marketing, Product Development, Design, or Communications with a discipline in Packaging is required. A minimum of five years business experience including at least three years progressively responsible experience in all phases of copywriting is necessary. Experience in a retail environment is preferred. Computer literacy, with Macintosh experience is necessary. Experience in writing and proofreading packaging, online promotional materials, instruction manuals or similar industry-related experience is required. A solid understanding of the English language as well as writing styles, grammar, spelling, and punctuation is a must.