A couple of postings from Minnesota based SuperValu, it will be interesting to see how SuperValu fills these roles in the wake of their dismissal of Daymon Worldwide. The Brand Manage position seems to be tailored to classic CPG experience with a heavy slant toward marketing, positioning and consumer insights. Particularly noteworthy is the omission of any retail experience requirement, as retailers struggle to build branding and Private Brands as a core competency it will be imperative that they also discover how the branding model evolves to take advantage of the retails inherent connection to the customer and to account for the highly matrixed retail world.
Private Brands Brand Manager
SuperValu: Eden Prairie, MN
SUPERVALU’s vision is to become the industry’s Private Brands leader. Driving competitive advantage by innovating and taking intelligent risks to create an experience that continually over-delivers on the consumer’s trust, confidence and loyalty and drives them to seek out our Private Brands. The Brand Manager of Private Brands will play a key role in building that experience by leading the development and building of consumer meaningful brands within our Private Brand’s portfolio.
The Private Brands, Brand Manager will be responsible for leveraging consumer insights in developing annual marketing strategies and tactics as well as bringing the brand positioning and equity to life in all elements of brand communications. They will also be responsible for leading the efforts against innovation; identifying consumer insight driven strategies and linkages to the brand equities within our portfolio.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Lead the development and execution of yearly marketing plans in support of business goals: marketing objectives, strategies and tactics and the rationale to support
- Guide in-depth consumer understanding and translate consumer insights into actionable marketing strategies and tactics, including consumer driven innovation on product and packaging
- Lead the development of brand equity statements, brand positioning, and brand identity guidelines and ensure adherence in all aspects of brand communication
- Direct the execution of brand positioning via packaging and all consumer directed communications (in collaboration where applicable with Private Brands Packaging Design, Product Management and Marketing)
Lead high performing teams (marketing, packaging, project management, in-house designers/creative agencies, research & analytics, merchandising, etc.) to deliver on-strategy brand marketing elements and initiatives; including managing priorities, budgets, timing, and resources of cross-functional teams
- Bachelor’s degree in Business/Marketing or related field. MBA preferred
- 4+ years Brand Management/Marketing experience in CPG company
- Must have proven track record of understanding the consumer, translating insights into winning strategies and a high degree of creativity to find new, compelling ways to build brands
- Proven leadership and collaborative skills including the ability to lead and motivate cross-functional teams to successfully achieve results
- Proven experience building brand equity from positioning through communication execution
- Possess excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Takes initiative and is self-motivated
- Excellent time management and follow-up skills
- Excellent computer skills, proficient in Excel, Word, Access and PowerPoint
- Experience and knowledge of retail merchandising and operations desirable
Private Brands Assistant Manager
SuperValu: Eden Prairie, MN
SUPERVALU is a premier food and drug retail powerhouse with world-class supply chain and support services. We are the nation’s third largest grocery provider, with a diversified portfolio of regional retail banners, locally managed and branded, spanning the nation, coast-to-coast and border-to-border. As the largest food distributor to retail stores in the United States, we also provide a robust suite of supply chain services to serve both our own retail banners and thousands of independent retailers.
Combined, SUPERVALU’s two lines of business provide a wealth of diverse opportunities to grow and to contribute to a thriving enterprise
Ongoing pursuit of excellence is a way of life at SUPERVALU and a key to our success. To achieve excellence, we seek associates who will contribute innovative business solutions. We embrace change and welcome others who do.
Our employees are as diverse as our opportunities – representing all ages, backgrounds and parts of the country. What they have in common is: talent, passion, sense of urgency, focus, standards, integrity – and an unsurpassed customer orientation. They form the foundation of our SUPERVALU Advantage – the key to our continuing success.
The Private Brand Assistant Manager is responsible for supporting the Private Brand team and Business Development Manager (BDM) in growing, developing, and carrying out the Private Brand category they support and overall Private Brand goals. Responsible for coordinating team activities that support PB categories in a customer facing business model. Through execution of the category strategy, the PB Assistant Manager works to meet and exceed sales, margin and penetration expectations. As directed by the BDM and PB leadership, this role will coordinate the forecasting, execution, shelf and item metrics for PB products. Oversees the measurement of promotion/distribution execution as well as supports BDM with Plan-O-Grams. Supports assortment planning decisions for PB and National brands to advance the PB and company objectives.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Supports BDM’s in development and implementation of category business plans
- Works with BDM and PB management to oversee promotion and promotional demand forecasting during both steady and demand time frames Focuses on the development of PB categories- closely monitoring the sales and brand impacts
- Reviews sales, margin dollars and penetration for PB products and makes recommendations to improve
- Acts as contact person for seamless interaction and conduit of information with PB team
- Interacts with category BDM to correlate PB into appropriate merchandising activities
- Works with BDM and PB merchandising to optimize own brands in the category and ensure we are providing the right assortment in merchandising plans and to efficiently set them in the Plan-O-Grams
- Reviews metrics by banner against execution for PB products in their category
- Acts as PB banner interface for category on any issues
- Assists in planning, directing, implementing and monitoring PB merchandising programs
- Supports execution of PB category strategies and initiatives; delivers against period, quarterly and annual forecast; interacts with PB merchandising and BDM to provide input to the development of a strategic PB Business Plan and execution
- Coordinates working plan for PB team derived from annual & quarterly category merchandising strategy based on evaluation of past performance, consumer and competitive/company trends
- Leveraging analysis and actively review scorecards to bring consumer insights and trends into actionable plans that drive weekly, quarterly and yearly sales and gross profit dollars
- Works collaboratively with PB team and represents PB as BDM determines strategy for PB in each category
- Participates in review of full assortment; reviews and gives input into national and PB recommendations
- Works in collaboration with regional and banner merchants to collect PB category performance feedback
Relevant Experience, Education, Certification, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. Relevant work experience preferred.
- Greater depth of specific category expertise may be required on a case-by-case basis.
- Experience or exposure to retail environment preferred
- Understanding of category management methods, store format marketing techniques, marketing research methods and interpretation
- Must have a strong knowledge base in supermarket retail and an understanding of consumer behavior in relation to product performance
- Must have detailed understanding of cause-effect relations between operational levers and performance (assortment/price vs. volume/margins) by utilizing financial, statistical, marketing, merchandising, and/or consumer research background
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Leadership, strategic thinking and ability to analyze and interpret market data
- Good verbal and communication skills
- Good interpersonal skill to interact effectively at all levels of the company and in the business community
- Well developed computer aptitude with proficient skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office. Must be able to adapt to and learn new systems quickly