Director, Product Development-Private Brands – Consumables and Sundry – Walgreens
Responsible for the overall management, strategy and ownership of the end-to-end product development process for all Private Brand items, including managing a team responsible for development of Spec’s product sourcing, vendor management, consumer testing and validation, pricing and promotions, and advertising/communication. Position will focus on the Consumables and Sundry divisions.
- Leads a high caliber and specialized group of individuals responsible for upwards of 2 B in revenues with 2-3 divisions.
- Oversees the end-to-end product development process inclusive of specification creation and validation through to consumer testing, advertising and communication.
- Creates and manages budgets, forecasts sales, profit and spending per category and division. Sets spending budgets on pricing, in store promotions and advertising per category and per division.
- Directs and has ultimate responsibility for managing and assessing third party relationships and ensuring fair and competitive costs and charges.
- Collaborates cross-functionally with category and division leaders to build appropriate long-term strategies with a focus on the role of Private Brand.
- Ensures a strong linkage with marketing and insights to enhance consumer-testing expertise with the end goal of testing all tier #1 products annually.
- Assures understanding and adherence to all regulatory requirements regarding brands including food or nonfood, domestic or imported.
- Develops and exceeds productivity targets with emphasis on cost reduction without losing quality through an annual or biannual bidding process.
- Coaches, mentors, and develops a highly motivated and capable staff through: effective hiring, establishing training programs, communicating goals and objectives, support of company policies and programs, formal and informal performance feedback, and recognition of accomplishments.
For more company information, please visit walgreens.com.
BS/BA degree required, preferably in Business, Marketing, or Finance. 10+ years of product development experience, preferably with retail and private brand experience. Successful strategic thinking; proven negotiation skills; high level of organization skills; strong leadership skills; proven developer, coach and mentor in leading people. Ability to plan long term; ability to handle complexity; proven ability to work in a matrix organization; proven ability to influence. Strong oral, written and presentation skills required.