Private Brand is Clear Value.

Christopher Durham Mar 19, 2009 11

bilo-ad

BI-LO the one-time Ahold owned grocer based in my hometown of Mauldin, South Carolina featured its Clear Value brand on the back page of its weekly circular this week.  For those of you unfamiliar with BI-LO the grocery chain operates more than 200 stores in Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Tennessee.

According to Wikipedia:

BI-LO was founded in 1961 by Frank L. Outlaw. The original name was Wrenn & Outlaw. The company was officially named BI-LO in 1963 after Outlaw conducted an employee store-naming contest to develop the “brand.” His secretary, Edna Plumblee, won the contest by submitting the name “BI-LO.” BI-LO was sold to Ahold (a Dutch retail food conglomerate) in 1977. In 1994, Ahold purchased Red Food Stores, Inc. and merged its locations (around 55 of them) in Georgia, Alabama, and Tennessee into BI-LO the following year. In 2001, Ahold purchased the Birmingham, Alabama based Bruno’s Supermarkets chain and combined its operations with BI-LO.

In 2005, Ahold sold BI-LO/Bruno’s to Lone Star Funds. In order to concentrate on renovating older stores, building new ones, and investing in newer information technology, the new owners sold off 104 BI-LO and Bruno’s stores in areas where the chain did not have significant market penetration as well as the three BI-LO/Bruno’s distribution centers to grocery wholesaler, C&S Wholesale Grocers who converted some of the stores to Southern Family Markets.

bilo-cv-pizzaClear Value is the BI-LO value tier Private Brand. It clearly shows the Ahold (Giant Carlisle, Giant Landover, Stop & Shop, Pea Pod and Martins) past looking and feeling remarkable similar to the current Ahold value tier brand: Guaranteed Value. Both of these brands also fall into the family of broader value tier Private Brands including: Kroger Value, Tesco Value, Smart Option (Delhaize) and No Name Brand (Loblaw). These brands are finding increasing relevance and growing sales in the current economic conditions.

ahold-guaranteed-value

Latest posts by Christopher Durham (see all)

1. Ashley Tauer Jan 18, 2010 at 8:13 pm - Reply

I shop at rainbow foods, and I always buy Clear Value brand. I love it!!! They have great products for cheaper than all the competitors. Thank you Clear Value!

2. po Feb 20, 2010 at 1:44 pm - Reply

I love Clear Value brand items. So much cheaper and better valued than even famous popular brand items. This is a blessing esp. during these hard economic times.

3. alfred briggs Mar 12, 2011 at 10:01 pm - Reply

i bought a box of your 16 crunchy fish only my box had 10 they were good. but i will not buy them anymore dont like being rip off im on a fix income and i cant afford it sorry your loss. i will find another brand alfred briggs.

4. john ames Mar 28, 2011 at 8:59 pm - Reply

hi, i live in milwaukee wi and shop at pick & save grocery stores. recently i discovered that they no longer stock your 6.5 oz clear value pizzas which i really enjoy.would you please let me know what other stores carry them in my area? i would really appreciate this. good pizza for the price!

thanks alot,john

5. john ames Mar 28, 2011 at 9:00 pm - Reply

great pizza!

6. Samantha Sep 29, 2011 at 3:04 am - Reply

I was wondering if you make coupons on your products?

• myprivatebrand Sep 29, 2011 at 10:01 pm - Reply

I am not affiliated with the Retailer, you would need to contact them directly to answer this question
      Thanks

7. Pamela Jan 18, 2012 at 9:12 pm - Reply

Hi, I just want to let you guys know that your american cheese is disgusting. I really don’t think you should market that anymore, I literally took a bite chewed twice and spit it out.. I don’t mind generic foods, in fact my husband and I usually buy store brand things, and never have a problem.. but this is the nastiest cheese I have ever had.. It amazes me that you people call this cheese, because it tastes nothing like it.
    Thank you.

• myprivatebrand Jan 18, 2012 at 9:36 pm - Reply

Pamela
      Thanks for the note however this site is not affililiated with any of the retailers or brands that we write about. I recommend you express your thoughts to the retailer.

8. Richard Sep 20, 2014 at 9:37 am - Reply

Where can I find Clear Value milk in Miami Florida?

9.   Nov 25, 2014 at 7:43 pm - Reply

I love Clear Value Mac and cheese!!!

I USED TO LOVE KRAFT UNTIL THEY MESSED UP THIER RECIPE AND IT TASTES LIKE CRAP NOW!!!!

I used to be able to get this @ price chopper but they dropped the item and now Im having to order it from Pick and save in Wisconsin (100s of miles away) and it doesnt always workout very good…. They are really busy,etc…….. I have been waiting 2 months now for my mac and cheese…. I sent a cheque and still nothing…….. All this wouldnt have to be a problem IF TOPCO WOULD JUST SELL DIRECTLY TO ME!!!!!!

Why does everything have to be so hard?? (I cant find any mac and cheese as good as cvlear value….. IT ALL TASTES LIKE CRAP!! (Skim milk,etc))