This from the Private Label Manufacturers Association:
While “recession” is the most popular word in today’s media, the buzzword at PLMA’s Private Label Trade Show, to be held Nov. 15-17 in Chicago, will be “innovation.”
PLMA is launching its new Innovation Hall, a unique “show-within-a-show” at the association’s annual Trade Show in the Rosemont Convention Center to help retailers and manufacturers maintain store brands’ growing leadership role in the marketplace.
The new exhibition space will feature an array of companies that offer innovative products and services for private label that go beyond product development.
“The Innovation Hall represents the next logical step in the evolution of store brands,” says Brian Sharoff, President, PLMA. “Over the past decade, store brands have expanded to annual sales of $80 billion. This has been driven by remarkable gains in product quality and assortment. But as business gets larger, more complex and demanding, there is a strategic need by both retailers and manufacturers for more than just products.”
PLMA’s Innovation Hall will concentrate on services and ideas that are necessary for growth to continue:
- Laboratory testing and certification: to ensure product quality, consistency and safety.
- Market research, marketing services, business consulting: sophisticated data and expertise to manage store brands as brands.
- Software and technology: information systems that can be applied in all aspects of sales, marketing and supply chain operations.
- Packaging design and graphics: to reflect the greater importance of premium products and expansion into new categories.
- Logistics and supply chain: to guarantee superior service and greater efficiency.
- International sourcing: to give retailers and manufacturers access to the global marketplace.
- Manufacturing equipment: to increase the capability of suppliers to produce new products quickly and achieve higher volumes.
- Financial services: to allow retailers to offer their customers financial services that round out the shopping experience.
“If store brands are going to sustain their success in the decade ahead, retailers and manufacturers will have to commit themselves to innovation in products and services,” PLMA’s Sharoff says.
PLMA’s new Innovation Hall will occupy the mezzanine hall. In addition to company exhibits, there will be demonstrations and classes open to all trade show attendees. The new Innovation Hall will also open the day before the regular show floor starts so that exhibitors and visitors alike can participate.
PLMA’s annual Private Label Trade Show is the nation’s largest marketplace for store brand products. Over 4,500 visitors attend the show annually, including buyers and executives from virtually every major retail chain and wholesaler.
The show, held at Chicago’s Rosemont Exhibition Center, presents more than 2,000 exhibit booths from the leading manufacturers of private label products. All major product categories are represented, from food and beverages to health and beauty care and household.