Clover Valley Better than A Dollar?

Christopher Durham Jan 8, 2009 57

clovervalley-raisinsWith more than 8,000 in 35 states Dollar General seems to be ever present in many communities. Small format stores, often in medium to small towns Dollar General is an integral part of many American lives. Their Private Brands, Clover Valley, DG Guarantee and Dollar General occupy a significant portion of their stores. They have recently redesigned and relaunched their Clover Valley line of food products and the packaging, website and in store collateral are nice. If the products can live up to the design DG should have a blockbuster on its hands. Dollar General is so clearly a value player, that its difficult to know whether these are value products with nice packaging or truly a national brand equivalent Private Brand.

In addition to Clover Valley Dollar General is marketing its health and beauty brand DG Guarantee using a Compare & Save message at shelf. Other national players CVS and Walgreens are also using thi tactic.

They have also recently launched a line of EZ Green natural cleaners that mimic the packaging of Clorox Co.’s popular Clorox Green Works line.

Latest posts by Christopher Durham (see all)

1. J. Giump Dec 21, 2009 at 2:43 pm - Reply

dollar general used to carry clover valley marinade. IT’s not on the shelves anymore. what happened to it? where can i get it.

• Myprivatebrand Dec 21, 2009 at 9:14 pm - Reply

J.
      Thanks for the comment this blog is not affiliated with Dollar General or Clover Valley, I simply report on private brands.
      I suggest you contact Dollar General directly.

thanks
      Christopher

• Missy in KY Oct 28, 2010 at 11:30 am - Reply

I bought Clover Valley’s chicken bouillon cubes the other day at the dollar store. I made my ‘famous’ chicken and dumplings using them to make my broth rich and delicious like I use name brand chk. bouillon cubes..except it WASN’T delicious!! Clover Valley’s chicken bouillon cubes are a nightmare! They do NOT dissolve in boiling water like name brand ones do so imagine how nasty my dumplings were with a mouth full of crunchy, blah tasting chicken flavored ‘hunks’! My entire dinner was a failure and was thrown away after hours of cooking for my family. I’m highly disappointed. I was going to write to the company but I threw away the jar away before I could get the website addy. So if anyone reads this and knows the addy. please let me know so I can get to the proper place. Thanks! :)

• Keith Oct 31, 2010 at 5:11 pm - Reply

You should contact Dollar General directly. However, if you had kept the jar the item is guaranteed so you could just return the jar to Dollar General and get your money back. It doesn’t replace the ruined dinner, but it helps.

2. David Damico Jan 4, 2010 at 8:08 pm - Reply

Just wanted to ask why are you now using Aspartame (Nutrasweet) in the Clover valley fruit drinks? I had discovered the CV drinks a while back and was glad to find another Sucralose (Splenda) drink. I saw both the original and new labeled drinks side by side in my local family Dollar so I could compare the labels. Now that Sucralose has been replaced by Aspartame, I will not buy these drinks again (for health reasons). You had a special product. Now it’s like all the rest of the store brand drinks with artificial sweetener.

• myprivatebrand Jan 4, 2010 at 11:33 pm - Reply

David this site is not affiliate with Clover Valley or Dollar General try going directly to their site
      Thanks
      Christopher

• Jill Feb 19, 2012 at 10:06 pm - Reply

I also will not use anything containing aspartame; it causes me to have terrible headaches. The bottled Crystal Light has sucralose (Splenda) but the powdererd versions do not. Seven-Up was using Splenda for a while but then went back to aspartame. I’ve seen the bottled (4 in a pack) Crystal Light in the lemonade flavor and the raspberry ice flavor.

3. Rich Mar 13, 2010 at 7:40 pm - Reply

I’ve been using DG’s Clover Valley cookies and crackers for about six months now and have found them to rival the national brand equivalent in taste & texture. Plus, I’m saving money at the same time. I used their Woven Wheat Crackers at a cocktail party recently and no one noticed any difference. As a matter of fact, one attendee commented how much they “loved these Triscuits.”

• Vito Nov 7, 2010 at 10:13 pm - Reply

The Clover Valley cookies (Samoia, Fudge, Thin Mints) are the same at the Girl Scout’s. It’s the same affiliation, same recipe and all. Just keep that in mind when your friends decide they want to go hunt down some girls for overpriced cookies. $1.85 here for a box with more in them. :)

• mattie Jul 12, 2012 at 8:35 am - Reply

The Clover Valley brand of cookies should never be compared to Girl Scout cookies, they don’t taste as good as the GS brand and shame on them for mocking and trying to imitate GS. And as far as price point, you can’t compare generic to an internationally known product.

• Driftwood2k11 Jul 15, 2012 at 10:48 pm - Reply

No offense, but that’s just not so. I’ve done a side by side comparison, and they taste very much alike. The ingredients are the same. The price, though, is drastically different. I much prefer the Clover Valley Thin Mints to the GS cookies.

• janet Jan 29, 2014 at 2:12 pm - Reply

I beg your pardon, but the cookies (samoas) at dollar general DO taste like GS cookies, and when you are trying to save a dollar, you bet I’ll go for them before I pay 4.00 a box for overpriced and skimpy cookies.

4. Lloyd Vermillion Apr 13, 2010 at 6:40 pm - Reply

I am a Dollar General customer, the store used to sell a salsa produced by “Clover Valley”;they no longer sell it. My question is does Clover Valley still produce a tomato salsa and if so where can I buy it?

• myprivatebrand Apr 13, 2010 at 9:12 pm - Reply

Clover Valley is a private brand owned by Dollar General I recommend you contact them directly.
      Thanks

5. karen mcknight Jul 22, 2010 at 1:39 pm - Reply

i love your crackers”””””””””’however i ate a box of chicken flavored crackers this week and became very ill for three days now i find out theat they were recalled””i wonder why or what happened ””i would really like to hear from someone

thanks

• myprivatebrand Jul 23, 2010 at 10:35 pm - Reply

Thanks for the comment, although I report on Private Brand I am not associated with any of the retailers or brands which I write about. I recommend you contact Dollar General Directly.
      Thanks
      Christopher

6. Ray Aug 22, 2010 at 3:01 pm - Reply

I have yet to find a CV product that doesn’t at least equal the national brand (not that I’ve tried them all.

7. Ken Oct 9, 2010 at 1:51 am - Reply

I know this is a little problem but has anyone else noticed that clover valley’s prices are staying the same but they are cutting down the ounces. IE… baking soda it was 16oz but now it is 14oz am i the only one who has noticed some differences?

• Keith Oct 31, 2010 at 5:14 pm - Reply

This has been happening with a lot of products lately (not just private brands). For instance, recently Florida’s Natural introduced 59 oz cartons instead of 64 oz. However, the Publix private brand orange juice still comes in 64 oz cartons and you can get it for less than the name brand!

8. Carol Hinton Oct 18, 2010 at 4:26 pm - Reply

Just tried Clover Leaf coffee for the first time *to save a few bucks…and was so very pleasantly surprised. It is absolutely delicious…also, am crazy about DG’s brand of kosher dill pickles…Thanks for helping keep our prices down…Many of my friends are opting to buy from Dollar General rather than going to the local grocery stores or even WalMart…Thanks. Carol

9. lee j. Nov 8, 2010 at 8:07 pm - Reply

hey. just gotta say that ive been going to the dollar general right up the street from where i live for about six months now…

i gotta say in all honesty…that the clover valley products are AWESOME. their raisin bran rocks, the mini chocolate chip cookies ROCK.

i gotta give it up to dollar general. i cant believe im actually commenting here, but it needed to be said.

dollar general is a blessing to me.

dont get me wrong, there are some stinkers (clover valley spaghetti sauce equals NO!!!!!)

BUT everything ive tried there with their name on it, DG or Clover Valley has been wonderful.

the DG line of skincare is amazing.

i know your not part of dollar general, but thanks for putting up a little post about it. i was going to.

10. abhester3 Dec 10, 2010 at 7:28 pm - Reply

It’s not all great, Clover Valley Soy Sauce is possibly the worst soy sauce ever made, basically a fake soy sauce with corn proteins, vinegar and corn syrup(!). It actually tastes closer to worcester sauce, this is one to avoid…

11. Joyce Elaine Feb 9, 2011 at 1:54 pm - Reply

I bought a new product yesterday from Dollar General. It is CV Oats and Chocolate Fiber Bars. The taste is the same as the name brand. I have found that I like most CV items. Thanks, Joyce Austin TX

12. Janet Mar 2, 2011 at 11:16 am - Reply

Hell, have noticed with your product and other brands that I can not find what I looking for and can you please tell WHY NOT! you have clover valley waffer cookies and they come in vanilla-strawberry and choc,, also you sell them JUST vailla and you sell them JUST strawberry and you sell them all three togather in package, WHY do you not sell JUST the choc ones by thier selfs, They are the only ones I like and in order to get them you have to buy the package that has all three of them which to me is a waste as I said I do not care for the other two favors,, ALL the other brands of these waffers also sell them like you do BUT no choc ones by thier selfs, CAN you please start selling just the choc ones by thier selfs Thank You

• Cheri Apr 3, 2012 at 3:51 pm - Reply

They do sell chocolate by themselves. I was just there today. But I find that one week they will have something (like real butter sticks) and then they won’t have any later and then will get it back.
      It’s all about timing.

13. olga menchaca Mar 14, 2011 at 11:17 pm - Reply

i buy the clover valley non dairy creamer french vanilla i love this creamer but there is only one thing wrong you all just use about 3 tablespoons in the container please try and fill the jar or at least half of it even if you go up on your prices i will still buy it cause i love it thank you

14. Jerry Tomey Apr 13, 2011 at 3:38 pm - Reply

I live in Alachua Florida. I have been drinking Clover Valley Classic Coffee, in the33 oz can for years. They told me at the Dollar General, that they were dicontinueing the classic brand. Is that true? And are you stop selling the 33 oz cans?

• Josh May 12, 2011 at 9:34 pm - Reply

I love all the coffees the DG offers!

15. Dolly hogan Apr 19, 2011 at 9:07 pm - Reply

Clover Valley foods are great,I like the french cut Green beans and all cans I buy are made in the USA.

16. Josh May 12, 2011 at 9:33 pm - Reply

All the CV food products i’ve tried have been great. Flavor and price wise. Matter of fact i live outside New Orleans and we have a local Folgers coffee plant here. I had my in-laws over for coffee and the chocolate striped shortbread cookies. They loved both and my mother-in-law thought it was Folgers (which is WAY more expensive). My father-in-law loved the cookies and couldn’t believe i bought them for $1.25. I love the DG.

17. Howard May 21, 2011 at 9:57 am - Reply

would like to know where to buy clover valley baked beans??

• myprivatebrand May 21, 2011 at 3:11 pm - Reply

Clover Valley is sold exclusively at Dollar General

• howard Oct 26, 2013 at 1:02 pm - Reply

I want to buy C.V. baked beans ??? Where can I buy them????????

18. mackenzie Jun 13, 2011 at 12:05 pm - Reply

Can I just say I love cv! We started doing a bulk of our grocery staple shopping there 3 months ago. We actually don’t go to the grocery store much anymore. We do farmers markets and butcher our own meat. But got off track. We love their cereal. Their cookies are as good as name brand. All of my goods for baking are clover valley and you can’t tell the different from a clover valley ingredients bread or rolls rather than name brand.

19. Debby Aug 3, 2011 at 7:23 pm - Reply

I love CV products. The CV olive oil spray is great. My favorite are the cheese and pretzel packets. They are so delicious. Like others have said, there are sleepers. Thanks, I will have to try the cookies. Debby

20. Paul Sep 8, 2011 at 1:49 am - Reply

AT my local dollar general store, they do not sell the regular flavor of istant oatmeal, only the variety pack, wish they would carry the regular flavor too.

21. Shan Sep 19, 2011 at 10:32 am - Reply

I just tried the Clover Valley Honey Nut Toasted Oats cereal, and it is very good. I always read the ingredients and I bought it because of the price and the fact that it’s made with whole grain and no high fructose corn syrup. This is hard to find in cereals unless you pay 4 bucks a box.

22. darrell summers Oct 14, 2011 at 10:11 am - Reply

I was so happy to find CV potato sticks at a local dollar general, we grew up on these things back in the 60′s when potato chips were a luxuary. ha ha have been looking for them for a long time at the local super center grocery store but could never find them, Thanks for bringing them back.

23. Claudia Morris Oct 21, 2011 at 5:33 am - Reply

Clover Valley bread is very good, at least the round top variety.

24. Chris Dec 17, 2011 at 4:01 pm - Reply

Munching on a bag of CV Peanut Butter Filled Pretzels as I found this article….delicious! and cheap! I buy lots of their brands and they are great at pretty much everything but a few of their sodas are lacking. The root beer is wonderful however.

25. Driftwood2K11 Dec 28, 2011 at 6:04 am - Reply

I love Clover Valley stuff. I’m on a very tight budget, so I have to shop carefully. I’m a big fan of the Clover Valley bean and bacon soup. It tastes great, and costs half the price of Campbell’s. I buy the beef jerky there as well, and at only $3, it’s half the price of Jack Links and tastes just as good.

My only gripe with Clover Valley is that they don’t offer very many low sugar/no sugar alternatives. I realize that such alternatives cost more, but since I usually pay less, on average, I imagine their sugar free products would still be cheaper than other brands. In short, come on, I’d love some sugar free Clover Valley thin mint cookies! :D

• grandma Jun 2, 2012 at 10:43 am - Reply

I just found out they sell their own brand of stevia and at a great price

• Driftwood2k11 Jul 15, 2012 at 10:46 pm - Reply

Me too. It tastes just as good as the $7 brands elsewhere.

26. Alice Montgomery Jan 3, 2012 at 9:09 pm - Reply

My husband really liked your cv brand Lemon Lime Flavored Soda with other natural flavors, at dollor general, suddenally it not there, we have two stores on our road, they all say they dont know, WHY? Please bring it back, thanks, Alice

27. benedicdtus Jan 14, 2012 at 3:11 pm - Reply

Before my grocery budget got smaller and smaller and almost non-existent, I went from shopping at Whole Foods, then down to Walmart and now Dollar General for a lot of my items. Even though I still try to buy “natural” and products with minimal food colorings, additives, etc, I can still find a good variety at our local Dollar General Store. My favorite items: Coffee (about $2.50 cheaper than Walmart), 100% Natural Green Tea ($1.00 for 25 bags), 100% Natural Canola Spray, Sugar (just a good/same quality as Walmart but cheaper), Clover Valley Pop-Tarts (they are only $1.00 a box!), I’ve found Nutella and Nestle’s Chocolate Chips on sale there, Pine-Sol ($1.00/bottle), Pringles ($1.50/can and Walmart is $1.85/can), toilet paper is cheaper, Clover Valley Peanut Butter is about $1.00+ cheaper than Walmart Brand (same quality), the Dollar General Brand diapers are about $2.50+ cheaper than at Walmart. All these dollar savings add up. In addition, they very frequently give out $5.00 off a purchase of $25.00 or more coupons to use on Saturdays so I wait and do my shopping on Saturday and end up getting $5.00 free groceries. Bottom line, I’ve used A LOT of different Clover Valley and Dollar General Brand foods and items and have not seen any difference in quality from Walmart brands – the only difference I’ve seen is in my pocketbook!

28. David Jan 29, 2012 at 9:13 pm - Reply

The sweet & spicy trail mix is very good……..
    There should a law against something tasting so good.

29. elane lewis Mar 3, 2012 at 6:09 pm - Reply

D.G did carry CV vanilla sandwich cookies,I don`t like the brand they carry now and don`t buy them. Why did they change brands??

30. Mona Apr 30, 2012 at 3:30 pm - Reply

I also have purchased different items at DG and I can’t really say anything I purchased is good…..I don’t buy anything made in CHINA,MEXICO,PUERTO RICO, etc. get my point. ? We need to buy only American products….keep our jobs here in the USA…. I even noticed some of their chocolate (a brand name) was made in Mexico…..will not buy it….never tried their coffee…..wonder where it comes from? I noticed several said it was good…if it’s made in the USA, I just may try it, and return it if I don’t like it……I have returned a couple of things I bought…..you never know unless you try it…..

31. C.W Jul 6, 2012 at 10:04 am - Reply

I’ve tried several DG and CV brands and most are great. The CV Raisin Bran is much better than Kellogg”s. Also, most of CV foods are made in the USA.

32. Myrtle Dec 3, 2012 at 2:03 am - Reply

Mona, I’m surprised as a fellow AMERICAN and PATRIOT that you DID NOT KNOW THIS, but PUERTO RICO is part of the United States. It’s just that it’s a territory, not a state. Barry Goldwater, a GREAT AMERICAN, was born in Arizona when it was just a territory and not a state, but he got to run for president. So buy Puerto Rican products and eat them with PRIDE knowing you are supporting AMERICAN jobs!

33. clark Dec 8, 2012 at 8:09 pm - Reply

DG clover valley Honey about 1 doolar for 8oz was obviously a fake honey from sweetners and other cheep ingredients. So buyer beware not erverything is QA. i grewuo wit beehives and honey extracting so my buds know the difference I checked the tast with my dad who taught me amd he agrees.. it’s not honey despite the label saying so.
    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

34. Shawna Watson Feb 6, 2013 at 2:30 pm - Reply

I buy Clover Valley coffee all the time.And it’s the best coffee to me that I’ve ever tasted.Not only do I like my Coffee in the Morning.But, I like Dice Divination and Dream Divination to try and figure out the Mega Millions Lottery numbers or Powerball.And I hope that Micky Dolenz doesn’t get mad at me for doing this.We have a dissagreement because he knows I think lottery winners that was so amazing.So, no he won’t get mad.Because he’s the baddest man and singer on the whole entire planet.

35. Roy Apr 3, 2013 at 9:32 pm - Reply

Is anyone else finding prices of plastic in their Clover Valley Spring Water from Adollar General? I first noticed it when instead of soothing my throat, it caused a scratchy feeling. I have since filtered the plastic pieces from some of the bottles. It isn’t in every bottle, but it is in almost every case.

36. Shirley Jul 3, 2013 at 8:02 am - Reply

I have been eating cereal for 80 years and without a doubt, their Cinnamon cereal squares by Clover Valley is the best we have ever eaten–especially if you like cinnamon. Lower calories for a larger serving size than most cereals. Try it——-bet you’ll like it.

37. Brenda Oct 20, 2013 at 4:00 pm - Reply

More and more, we are picking up “staples” at the DG. We just tried the bread, I never thought any bread could compare to our Evangeline Maid, but I gotta say, for the HUGE difference in price, CV has won us over. I now buy CV bread, saltines, jelly, cookies, peanut butter, trail mix, and canned goods! I used to be a snooty name brand only shopper, but now that all food has gone up(and usually quality has gone down) I take pride in telling my friends about CV brand. I especially love the online shopping that DG offers. My local stores have been out of our favorite trail mix for weeks(Sweet & Spicy-YUMMY!) so I got online and ordered a 6 pack box that arrived in two days! I have no complaints at all about CV or DG! Together they are making my life easier. Thank you!

38. Kathy Reynolds Apr 19, 2014 at 4:35 pm - Reply

Clover Valley cheese makes the best grilled cheese sandwiches ever!!!

%d bloggers like this: